Interim Head of Legal Services
I am seeking a dynamic Senior Lawyer who has ample experience of leading a legal services team for a new assignment in the South West/Avon area. This local authority are seeking to appoint an Interim Head of Legal Services for a 6 month period, ideally starting at the end of this month. The appointed candidate will be responsible for leading and co-ordinating the council's legal services (including democratic functions). This role plays a large part in the Senior Leadership function of the council and requires liaison with the top levels of the organisation.
Ideally you should have local government experience gained at Department Head or Service Director Level as well as being a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FILEX with a current practicing certificate. You will have up to date knowledge of legislation and policy and experience of managing not only legal functions but also resources including finance, property and ICT.
You will also need a range of experiences and expertise to be successful in this post. We are looking for evidence of leadership at a senior management level, working for a public sector organisation (Council, NFP, High Education, Government, Charity), as well as someone who can demonstrate a background in successful change management, implementing new policies and delivering successes through periods of structural change. Up to date knowledge of local government law and democratic decision making will be essential.
The appointed candidate will have a range of duties to undertake including:
- Leading the Legal Services department
- Developing strategic positioning of the service
- Promoting and supporting legal services to external public sector clients
- Acting as Deputy Monitoring Officer
- Managing the departments total budgets (approx. £2m)
- Supporting Directors in building a robust corporate services function
- Ensuring legal services operates within an agreed budget and meets performance targets
- Undertaking performance management and ensuring the council adheres to policies and procedures
- Preparing annual service plans and budgets
- Liaising with client departments on service delivery
- Supervising and/or personally dealing with legal work of significant corporate significance
This role is designed to be a full time and office based as you will need to be a hands on, visible leader.
This role with pay a daily rate. Rate will be dependent upon your level of experience but is expected to be in the range of £500 - £700 a day (inside IR35), depending upon the breadth of experience demonstrated.
For more information and/or a confidential discussion please email Emily Bulman in the first instance on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your application
Chadwick Nott Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.