Interim Oil & Gas Specialist
Interim Oil & Gas Specialist
The purpose of this role is to provide sector specialist inputs to the Department’s Oil & Gas Export Campaigns for Azerbaijan, India and Kazakhstan, driving exports from top to bottom of the supply chain exports, supporting Overseas Direct Investment (ODI) and, where appropriate, local content objectives.
The role, in partnership with teams in London and Diplomatic Posts overseas, spans the full lifecycle of planning, forecasting, execution and accounting for the delivery programme, developed and agreed under the plans for each campaign.
The post holder will develop and maintain strong relationships with leading industrial and technical specialists and large multi-national delivery providers in order to better understand the totality of the opportunity in each market over a broad time horizon.
He or she will have the opportunity to contribute to DIT’s broader Oil & Gas strategy and best practice in gathering, managing and sharing market intelligence to best effect.
Main Tasks: Specific Responsibilities
- Maximising the chance of UK export success by understanding the demand profile of each campaign and engage and help relevant UK companies to pursue and win pre-FEED, FEED and major projects in each of the three markets.
- Maintain and develop the bilateral Partnership Programmes (which address local content demands) that exist between the UK and Azerbaijan and the UK and Kazakhstan. Potentially help develop and launch a similar programme for India, with a particular focus on strengthening deep water collaboration.
- Stress-test project pipelines, helping UK and overseas teams to prioritise opportunities where HMG support can make the greatest difference and achieve the greatest export value for the UK in each market.
- Help UK businesses to export and invest overseas, joining up with: the UK’s Devolved Administrations and the English regions in developing the supply of potential exporters with overseas regions in providing the expertise to help qualify demand and with UK Export Finance to ensure no viable export fails due to lack of finance.
- Support the DIT’s oil and gas sector team to respond flexibly to new developments as well as support initiatives that open new opportunities for UK companies over longer time scales.
- Represent and speak with expert authority on behalf of the sector and help to up-skill civil servant colleagues through mentoring, informal coaching and formal training.
- Support the sector leads to bring business intelligence and insight to build commercial capability across the Department and contribute to trade policy development, including assisting in the identification and resolution of market access barriers (feeding into both TPG and DExEU). Specific outputs to include: Help deliver export, overseas investment and market access targets (and emerging Gross Value-Added metrics) from each campaigns by developing good working relationships with key stakeholders across the oil and gas sector, linking relevant businesses, advisory bodies and trade associations with overseas Posts and HQ.
- Ensure successful progress of campaigns through regular engagement with virtual team members and monthly update sessions, tracking against milestones; identifying and adopting mitigating actions; redeploying resource as appropriate.
- Ensure a continued pipeline of opportunities through: engaging with relevant sector advisory bodies; key business stakeholders; Posts and relevant DIT colleagues and contractors.
- Bring a strategic insight to prioritising potential opportunities against key metrics and HMG objectives.
- Support the delivery of sector events and missions by making a reasoned and prioritised contribution to the business planning process and then working closely with the events and missions team, within stated timelines, to structure content that is attractive to customers and helps deliver our targets.
- Make a contribution to Sector Group and wider-DIT corporate programmes and encourage team members to actively participate beyond their own areas of responsibility e.g. supporting DIT’s participation in business programmes associated with major international events.
- Ensure delivery within 1% of any delegated budget allocation through regular scrutiny of actual spend against forecasts; redeploying where appropriate or releasing to the FBP for other priorities. 2-3 days a week.
IN side IR35
12 month + contract