Non-Executive Director, Thomas Telford Limited
Thomas Telford Ltd (TTL) is the trading company of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). It was created in 1971 by the ICE to provide additional income to the ICE to support the Institution's charitable activities. It does this through a portfolio of five businesses under the TTL umbrella. All the profits from the business are donated to the ICE. The business is overseen by a board of Executive and Non-Executive Directors. A vacancy exists for a new Non-Executive member to join the board for an initial period of 3 years.
The company's five businesses are:
- A conference venue in the ICE's HQ building at One Great George Street, in the heart of Westminster (http://www.onegreatgeorgestreet.com/)
- The NEC division provides contracts and project management tools widely used for projects in the built environment (https://www.neccontract.com/)
- The publishing division covers all aspects of infrastructure and the built environment with readers and authors around the globe (http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/)
- The training division provides technical and non-technical skills development for members and non-members (https://www.icetraining.org.uk/)
- Our job-board provides recruitment services for the Civil Engineering sector (http://icerecruit.com/)
The Company has achieved strong growth in both turnover and profits in recent years and the ICE is supportive of the growth strategy and is encouraging the business to investment to support further growth.
Thomas Telford Ltd has an ambitious three-year growth plan in markets which are in transition. We are seeking to appoint one or more non-executive directors to the main Board with immediate effect to support the team in delivering the strategy.
We are looking for outstanding individuals who can demonstrate experience of most, if not all, of the following:
- Executive Director role in a £20m+ turnover business
- Senior management experience in a commercial environment, information and services businesses are particularly relevant
- Growing business in new markets, at home and overseas (experience in Asia Pacific is of particular interest).
- The development of digital workflow tools for B2B markets
- Business development, sales or marketing
Whilst this experience is extremely important to the Board, the personal attributes of the candidate are paramount and the individual must have:
- An open, honest, friendly, questioning and challenging approach
- A leadership style and approach to doing business that fits with the company's values and principles
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of good corporate governance - ideally holding a relevant professional qualification
- Sympathy with the ethos and risk appetite of a not-for-profit shareholder
It is expected that board members are involved for up to 10 days per year, to attend 3 regular Board Meetings, which typically last for 2-3 hours and a longer annual strategy day in May. You would also engage with the Directors and ICE trustees.
This is a voluntary role, we will pay reasonable expenses in line with ICE policy.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
To apply for this position please send a covering letter and your CV via the button below quoting reference TTL007.
Closing date for applications is Jan 31st.