Head of Legal Services
Our client is seeking a Head of Legal Services on an initial 6 month contract with a possibility of an extension.
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (37 hours)
- The Head of Legal Services is a member of the Senior Leadership Team in the Assurance Service and will work with colleagues to shape and deliver Service plans that support delivery of the Council Strategy.
- Acting as the Council lead for the professional functions within their portfolio, they will provide leadership to staff and work with partners, colleagues and senior managers to ensure delivery of all aims and objectives, taking overall responsibility for Legal Services to both internal and external customers.
- Leading the Legal Service on a day to day basis and developing the strategic positioning of the Service so that it can be relied upon to provide efficient and effective legal advice for all areas of the Council and actively contributing to the delivery of the Council's objectives.
- Promoting the legal service to external public sector clients and providing effective and valued legal services and support to external public sector clients
- Acting as Deputy Monitoring Officer to support the Monitoring Officer in carrying out his/her functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for the effective management of the Legal Service's total budget of approximately £2m
- Legal Service management and development
- Provision of legal advice and support to the Council on all areas of law relating to each function
- Provision of legal advice and support to external public sector clients
- The promotion of the Legal Service to external public sector clients
- Total number of employees that report to the role (directly and indirectly) : Approximately 70
Skills and Experience:
- Relevant degree level qualification or equivalent, and evidence of continuous professional development
- Evidence of leadership of a relevant function or portfolio of functions at senior management level, within a local authority or other organisation of comparable scope and complexity
- Evident ability to work across organisational and professional boundaries, to make a contribution to the establishment of the desired organisational culture and to challenge inappropriate behaviour
- A proven track record of successful change management, implementing and delivering new working policies and practices alongside significant cultural and structural change that deliver improved services for customers in a more efficient way
- Track record of building effective teams and leading multi-disciplinary professional staff to achieve organisational aims and objectives
- A track record of successfully developing effective and productive partnerships both internally and externally that achieve organisational aims and objectives
- A successful track record of establishing and sustaining a performance management culture, supported by effective and efficient management information systems
- Proven experience of successful financial management including budget formulation, financial planning, monitoring and control, within tight financial limits in a complex organisation
- Relevant professional qualification or equivalent and evidence of commitment to continuous professional development
- Up to date knowledge of local government legislative framework and administrative law
- Practical experience of democratic decision making processes
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/84779895