Account Director - Government (Telecoms)
About the Organisation
Network Rail oversees the running, maintaining and developing of Britain’s rail tracks, signalling, bridges, tunnels and 20 of the largest stations in England, Scotland and Wales.
Network Rail Telecom (NRT) is responsible of providing the Great Britain rail industry with a national telecommunications capability that is essential for keeping the rail networks safe, reliable and operating efficiently. NRT’s strategy is to deliver an always connected digital railway for customers, passengers and lineside neighbours. They are actively supporting in Government policy commitments around telecommunications, including the developing Government Digital Agenda such as use of 5G technology.
About the Role
The Government Account Director will direct and develop the engagement strategy for NRT relationships with government (including regulators and major departments), as well as lead the creation and definition of proposals around commercially viable business opportunities.
Key responsibilities for the post include:
- Being a key contact for the strategic liaison with the government, licenced operators and external stakeholders.
- Managing and developing NRTs external relationships to allow them the ability to deliver relevant and commercially viable capability to the GB rail network in line with the digital railway strategy.
- Directing and developing NRT’s relationships with the government, regulators, other licenced operations and senior external stakeholders alongside Network rail government relations teams.
- Leading the creation and definition of proposals for high value commercially viable business opportunities and partnering arrangements for the exploitation of NRT assets.
- Leading on the negotiation of high value, complex contracts that exploit NRTs assets. This will include coordinating with the NRT teams to achieve the NRT strategy.
- Promoting the strategic needs of the government and external parties to inform the NRT’s decision making when developing strategy and product roadmaps.
For this critically important role, you will need to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- A significant experience in managing government relations
- Influencing persuasion and negotiating skills at all levels across the organisation. This includes the board, internally, and the senior government and leaders, externally.
- A substantial working knowledge of Government.
- Experience in the development of commercial proposals of complex contracts.
- A knowledge of telecommunications operational systems and technologies.
- An extensive experience of working with and facilitating multi-functional groups, within a regulated environment.
For more information please contact Andrew Timlin at Hays Executive on 02072598743