WISH2ACTION Commercial Manager
WISH2ACTION Commercial Manager
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
Fixed Term to end August 2021
The International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) is the leading global NGO in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). It is currently working in more than 170 countries in the world. The Africa Regional Office (IPPFARO) is one of IPPF’s six regional offices.
“Women’s Integrated Sexual Health” (WISH) is IPPFs new flagship health programme to transform the lives of millions of women and girls. Funded by DFID, WISH will provide integrated and holistic healthcare to 2.2m additional users of contraception across 16 countries in Africa and South Asia from 2018-2021.
Through a consortium of five internationally recognized organizations and 11 IPPF Member Associations led by IPPF, the WISH programme will provide a comprehensive, integrated approach to ensure equitable access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). The programme will prioritize the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disability, people displaced or affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas).
The Commercial Manager is an accountant with both commercial and donor contract experience who supports the sub-contracting and budgets of member associations and partners to implement a performance by results efficient implementation and value for money spend according to the contract targets and donor compliance.
- To ensure effective DFID/IPPF project financial management and reporting systems are in place in member associations (MA) and partners in order to manage donor compliant and efficient project spends against budget
- To collect, prepare and analyses MA and partner project required reports in a timely manner in order to meet internal and external deadlines for submission in order to receive payments from the project and donor
- To coordinate with the Commercial Deputy Director on the oversight of all project financial processes and transactions, including the disbursements of funds and verification and approval of financial reports from subcontractors and a defined group of MAs
- To lead the adherence to key financial controls for the project, including budgeting, management reporting and forecasting, procurement policy, travel policy, bank reconciliations and treasury management, to ensure donor compliant project finance management
- To review programmatic documents and other approval request documents to ensure budget feasibility, compliance with forward-funding guidelines, appropriate methods of financing/payment, and adequacy of financial reporting
- To review and correct project budgets and reports prepared by MAs, giving support and capacity building to MA teams to build expertise and excellence in country
- To develop methodologies and templates for compiling cost information and to provide coaching and guidance to technical staff at CO, ROs and MAs to ensure cost and activity information is correctly prepared
- To train and advise MAs and partners in DFID reporting requirements and templates
- To work closely with other commercial advisors, data analysts and programme teams to analyze and report on the results of the project and advise where improvements can be made
- To provide in-house training to staff on financial and contractual compliance as required; arrange external training as required
- To travel to MAs as part of evaluation teams and contribute from a financial perspective, ensuring that appropriate financial management and systems and controls are maintained in beneficiary countries
- To work strategically across country operations to ensure adaptive management and effective responsiveness to a Payments by Results contract
- To ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the remit of the post and in line with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy
- To build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside the Federation
- To become familiar with the Federation’s Health and Safety Programme and Guidelines for using Visual Display Units. To do everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment, including following instructions and guidance.
- To undertake such other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time
- The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding in local and international context and demonstrate a willingness to sign and adhere to IPPF’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies.
- To take financial oversight responsibility for portfolio of WISH2ACTION country operations
- To advise the Commercial Deputy Director on a portfolio of member association, sub-contractors and processes
Education & Qualifications:
- Qualified accountant or equivalent
- Degree or equivalent standard of education
- Evidence of professional development particularly in business skills desirable
- Advanced application in managing the accounting and finance component of large donor-funded programmes and setting up the accounting and finance function for a large restricted funded project.
- Experience of DFID or institutional donors is essential and reporting requirements
- Experience of development issues and/or project implementation and monitoring
- Experience in audit and financial control systems
- Strong financial analysis experience and commercial (acumen) experience including financial modelling is desirable
- Previous not-for-profit experience essential and abilities and aptitude for coaching and capacity building
- International experience (particularly developing countries) desirable
- Strong IT skills (including spreadsheet applications, especially Microsoft Excel, and databases)
- Familiarity with procurement and audit requirements
- Knowledge of financial reporting systems such as SUN and NetSuite. A variety of experience advantageous
- Fluent English (verbal and written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with people from different countries and cultures
- Strong verbal communication skills required to train staff and to convey complex financial information in an easily understandable form to non-financial staff
- Excellent written English
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Discretion in handling confidential information
- Willing to travel internationally up to 60 days a year
- Fluent in English, French, Arabic and Portuguese an advantage
You will have excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to influence and negotiate, strong leadership and stakeholder engagement skills, strong analytical and project management skills and be willing to travel internationally, about 60 days a year.
For further details, please visit our microsite – www.green-park-jobs.co.uk/ippf/pd-jd.php
Closing date for this role is 9am, Monday 14 January 2019.