Principal Financial Accountant
6 days left
- Fantastic opportunity to join the largest Police Force in Wales
- Excellent employer offering flexible working
About Our Client
Headquartered in Bridgend, South Wales Police is the largest police force in Wales and although geographically small, covering around 812 square miles and equating to just 10% of the geographical area of Wales, South Wales Police provides a policing service to 1.3 million people (42% of the country's population).
The force has almost 3,000 police officers and over 2,200 police staff, including Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and a team of dedicated volunteers that includes over 100 Special Constables and around 150 Police Youth Volunteers.
South Wales Police are entering an exciting period, where they are working collaboratively with the other Police forces in Wales as well as having a large Capital expenditure programme for the upgrade of its vehicle fleet, ICT systems and the development of new specialist training facilities.
South Wales Police are working in partnership with Michael Page to recruit an inspirational leader who will hold overall responsibility for the Financial Accounting team as the Principal Financial Accountant.
The Principal Financial Accountant is a member of the Finance Department's Senior Management Team and plays a key role in ensuring that South Wales Police meets its strategic vision and the pledges it has made to the people of South Wales.
The Principal Financial Accountant ensures the provision of comprehensive financial accounting service for South Wales Police and specifically holds responsibility for Treasury Management, Debtors, VAT Services, the production of the Statutory Accounts, Capital Asset Accounting and the provision of information and advice on Capital Programmes.
The Principal Financial Accountant will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the development and maintenance of Capital Expenditure Plans.
- Liaison with budget holders/managers, ensure the effective monitoring of the implementation and management of the Capital Programme.
- Undertake related option appraisals to ensure Value for Money is obtained in capital investments.
- Ensure the provision of comprehensive Value for Money, Banking and Treasury Management services are provided, in line with current service contracts.
- Oversee the periodic letting of Banking, Treasury Management and Taxation Advice contracts.
- Ensure the provision and maintenance of effective and efficient Debtors and Debt Recovery systems and related management information.
- Ensure the continuous accuracy and integrity of financial systems, in particular ledger control and suspense accounts.
- Ensure the appropriate and timely preparation for and the production of the Statutory Annual Accounts and other Financial Statements including user friendly guidance to divisional/departmental staff.
- Liaise with HMIFRC, external and internal audit as appropriate.
- Quality assure the work of the function and monitor the standard and performance of functional managers and team performance.
- Manage recruitment, development motivation and change within the team.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, provide support/cover for the ADoF, Principal Management Accountants and Head of Exchequer Services as appropriate.
- Be a trusted advisor to senior stakeholders inside the organisation.
As South Wales Police are working in collaboration with other Police Forces in Wales (particularly Gwent), you will attend regular meetings with Finance staff in these Force(s). There is a high potential that through this collaboration that this role will develop and grow in the coming years.
The Successful Applicant
You will be a fully qualified Accountant and hold either ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA qualifications.
- Ideally you will have significant PQE gained in a complex organisation.
- You will be an inspirational leader and will lead from the front at all times.
- You will have excellent technical accounting skills and will be up to speed with all changes in IFRS.
- You will have experience of financial appraisal techniques.
- Must be able to manage the staff and resources of the Financial Accountancy function to deliver agreed objectives.
- Must have excellent levels of numeracy and literacy, with highly developed analytical skills and be able to demonstrate an ability to understand complex issues and reduce them to their essential elements applying a broad organisational context, having a clear insight into inter-relationships between issues.
- Experience of Corporate Governance and Financial Governance frameworks.
- Experience of Best Value and Value for Money initiatives.
- Must have good presentation skills.
- Must be able to network effectively both internally and externally.
What's on Offer
A basic salary of £47,934 - £51,165 (Pending a pay award review)
- Excellent holiday allowance
- Agile working based on 37 hours per week. Ability to work from home (work depending)
- Final Salary Pension and access to free staff gym
Closing date for the role is Sunday 18th November.
Interviews in late November/Early December
* Please note, Michael Page are the Exclusive agent recruiting this role. All other agency CV's sent to South Wales Police will be forwarded to Michael Page
Ref Code: MPFE13960123Z
Apply for Principal Financial Accountant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly