Sales & Marketing Director
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a highly entrepreneurial, Private-Equity-Backed, Engineering Services business operating within Energy, Renewables, Oil & Gas and Nuclear. They possess an enviable reputation across their market and a client list to match that includes every major partner, but are set to climb to even greater heights thanks to an aggressive commercial strategy.
This impressive business has kept ahead of the market and has a clear focus on technical input and product innovation to be seen as a preeminent operator in all markets they exist within. Quality of product and service is at the core of the business.
Technical awareness and knowledge has long been the strength of the business and has led the business to enviable supplier contracts across several sectors. They have developed an impressive client list with the world’s most prestigious energy networks & businesses, ensuring class-leading service-delivery with realistic objectives together with strong customer service. Their consistency of service delivery is renowned.
The business is performing well, but they are focused on further cementing their market position, constantly evaluating and refining/developing their strategy and increasing their market share whilst re-investing into the business to continue and accelerate growth and financial position/enterprise value.
This desire to continue to develop, along with their default culture of high motivation and energy, has led to the need to recruit into a newly created role of Sales & Marketing Director to further penetrate into the various global Energy Sectors.
The appointee will take a high degree of autonomy in the development and leadership of this market, but with the full support of, and active seat on the Board of Directors. They will work very closely with the Managing Director as a two-person commercial leadership team, and acting very much as the MD’s ‘Number Two’, and whose role the Sales & Marketing Director is expected to be the leading candidate to succeed in the medium term, as part of the business’s succession planning strategy.
The successful candidate will design, develop and implement a clear strategy to profitably expand the value and volume of sales with all the major energy networks, and beyond.
They will ideally already know many of the key contacts within the major GDNs/Oil & Gas/Renewables sectors, and have good working relationships with them. They will furthermore be tasked with identifying suitable new opportunities, new target businesses/sectors and new product innovations, and where appropriate, assist in the selection, training and ultimately the management of the appointed partners to achieve the agreed profitability and sales targets as well as the on-going performance.
The priorities of this role include:
- Develop the sales and marketing strategy for the business, identifying business needs, market potential and innovative strategies for long term success for target sectors/target customers in line with company objectives.
- Measure the achievement of the strategy and the business plan with regular reviews.
- Deliver the results in accordance with the strategy and agreed plans identifying areas for profitable growth. To assume responsibility for the performance, conduct and motivation of the department.
- To understand the market environment, to lead the department effectively, providing clear direction, motivation and enthusiasm to ensure all work towards common goals.
- To lead and develop the sales team, ensuring maximum productivity, effectiveness and customer facing skills to ensure a high-performance culture of business excellence and continuous improvement.
- Manage the sales managers on a regular basis to assess company performance against KPI’s for revenue, margin, order size and conversion. Ensure an effective sales pipeline and lead tracking process.
- Manage the implementation of the Marketing strategy – including campaigns, events, digital marketing, website and PR, social media presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition.
- To derive and maintain the positioning of the business as a strategic partner with major customers to deliver contacts through meetings/visits to site as well as supporting customer visits to our facility.
- Undertake continuous analysis of competitive environment to fully understand competitor positions and strategy to develop market share.
- Manage the quotations department to ensure quotations and supporting material relative to an enquiry are produced in a timely/customer focused manner sufficient to deliver the target sales revenue.
- Ensuring the CRM is being effectively and provides a competitive advantage.
- Control of contract documentation to ensure the commercial suitability of all contracts that the risk, contractual obligations, profitability and cash flow are all in line with the business needs and meet the financial targets set.
- Responsible for their own health and safety and that of others and undertake the obligations as defined.
Specific Performance Deliverables and KPIs:
- The sales and profit performance of the Company
- Enterprise Value of the business
- Setting and delivery of the Sales & Marketing Strategy
- Meeting various deadlines
- Accuracy of budgets and forecasts
- Customer satisfaction performance of your function
- Implementation of cost reduction solutions
- Improvement and delivery of management information
The appointee will impress from first meeting. They will be on the up in their career and on a definite career path, with ascension to the role of Managing Director in their sights. They will be strategic in their approach, constantly seeking fresh ideas, fresh markets, looking at broadening their, and the company’s market. They will be adept at long term planning, and communicating with, and knowing their market, its trends and be able to accurately forecast because of it. But they will still love to sell. This is a small entrepreneurial business; the Sales Director will lead by example and the best candidates will still want it that way.
Beyond career progression, rewards will be significant. As a Private Equity-backed business, Enterprise Value is key, and as such, all members of the senior management team have equity in this business. The Sales Director is no exception. With the current Private-Equity partner set to remain in place for a further 3-4 years, the appointee stands to reap a significant reward upon growth-related recapitalisation/refinancing or next round of investments.The potential for ascension to MD will accelerate that reward in the longer-term, leading to a life-changing financial opportunity.
- Results driven
- Customer service focus
- Leadership capabilities
- Planning and monitoring
- Judgement and decision-making
- Forward thinking
- Excellent verbal and written communication, consulting and networking skills
- Excellent negotiation and numeracy skills
- Ability to lead, and work within a team
- Excellent people management skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and maintain accuracy at all times
- Ability to work independently and with the vision to ensure customer development
- Must be able to travel when required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Preferably degree educated
- Experience of the Energy Network/Distribution sector; manufacturing or supply-chain
- Strong and demonstrable exposure to key network organisations
- Experience of selling and dealing with ‘value added’ highly technical services/products
- Demonstrable ability to lead process changes
- Excellent communication and listening skills, both internally and externally and appreciation of cultural requirements
- Ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audience
This is a career defining, fantastic opportunity for an experienced, operationally aware and commercial client-facing professional, with exposure to the Energy network sector, to add significant value to an already high-performing market leader and reap the rewards to doing so.