Director of Internal Audit
Director of Internal Audit
The overall purpose of the role will be to lead, plan and execute a robust, effective and agile internal audit and enterprise risk programme, reporting into the Group CFO and Chairman of the Audit Committee.
Due to the rapid expansion of this group, as a result of organic growth and a significant amount of M&A activity, there is now an urgent need to build a best in class audit and risk function that is more in line with the current/future ambitions and scale of the business.
This is an incredibly hands-on role, with up to 75% of your time to be spent travelling across Europe. The direct team is small, with the rest of the team's resources being provided ad-hoc and when needed by Mazars (one of Europe's largest accounting firms).
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Oversight of the internal audit function; leading, planning and executing for success
- Significant interface with operational facets of the business in addition to the financially oriented aspects of the role
- Maintenance and presentation of the enterprise risk assessment matrix
- Proposal of the internal audit programme based on a documented risk assessment of each entity
- Oversight and management of the annual audit planning and risk assessment processes
- Review of the status and progress of the audits, auditors and staff work, taking a hands-on approach to ‘on site’ audits
- Agreement, where appropriate, of remediation programmes with local teams and appropriate timelines for completion therein
- Leadership of groundwork and presentation to audit committee meetings
- Closure reviews and sign off of on remediation programmes
- Organisation of ad hoc operational audits as required by regions
- Preparation and management of the department budget, ensuring that all financials are up to date and aligned with targets and goals
- Presentation of reports to the Audit Committee on the entities control environment, and providing recommendations for improvement to the Group and regional management teams
- Management and, where necessary, recruitment of staff
Key Competencies and Experience:
- Proven experience in a role with similar demands, ideally held within a publicly listed company environment
- Strong commercial acumen with a preference for international exposure
- Credibility and confidence to deal with executives and other senior internal stakeholders
- Adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity, with particular reference to the complexities that ensue when integrating major acquisitions
- Excellent technical knowledge, ideally trained in a ‘Big 4’ accountancy practice with further experience gained in industry
- Demonstrable influencing capability within a complex, operational, matrixed environment
- Capable of simplifying complexity, making intricate financial issues accessible and coherent to non-finance professionals
Personal Characteristics and Behaviours:
- Collaborative, low ego and team-oriented working style
- Highly analytical with excellent attention to detail
- Decisive, clear, fact based decision making
- Strong personal stature and gravitas, with the ability to interact effectively at the highest level
- Clear, confident and direct communication and excellent presentation skills
- Robust, emotionally intelligent leadership style, capable of ensuring high standards from colleagues
This is a Director level role, with one direct report. This is small Audit function and, as a result, the Director will need to be capable and comfortable being extremely hands on. The role will involve planning and executing, as opposed to 'directing'.
The opportunity is ideal either for an Internal Audit professional seeking a career 'step-up', gaining direct Board level exposure and a huge degree of autonomy and accountability or a more experienced Manager/Director currently seeking a more hands-on role.
As this organisation is seeking to IPO in 2019, this is a very high profile appointment.
The role could be based in the UK, the Netherlands or Switzerland.
Apply for Director of Internal Audit
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly