Our client is leading high street retailer, able to demonstrate significant growth over recent years with a highly successful record of increasing revenue and profit on an annual basis. Established both internationally and in the UK, our client has also developed a highly successful e-commerce operation. Due to the continued growth and profitability of the organisation, our client is looking to expand their current finance team.
Playing a key role in the growing finance team, this is a highly varied role tasked with providing accurate accounting and reporting across the Group. The role has ownership of the consolidation and is expected to strengthen the technical accounting expertise within the core Finance team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Ownership of the consolidation process including the preparation of consolidation adjustments for the retranslation of foreign operations, other eliminations and posting of final entries into ledgers
- Production of consolidated monthly management accounts including balance sheet and cash flow
- Responsibility for maintaining the books of holding companies, including accounting for debt finance
- Responsible for the preparation of the consolidated financial statements and UK subsidiary financial statements
- Work with our overseas accountants to support the preparation of financial statements in international jurisdictions
- Reconcile subsidiary accounting records to group ledgers to ensure local GAAP differences are appropriately documented and understood
- Feed into the preparation of the Board Pack and other monthly reporting issued to senior management for review
- Take the lead on providing the business with clear technical accounting advice, including Translation of Foreign Operations, Lease Accounting and Derivatives. This includes researching accounting queries, preparing technical accounting papers and drafting memos on judgmental areas for the audit
- Willingness to stay ahead of latest reporting compliance and accounting standards
- Drive forward and maintain the Group Accounting policy manual, including assessing the impact on the Group of changes to accounting standards
Compliance and Controls
- Significant involvement in year-end process, preparation of deliverables for the audit and key contact for the auditors during the audit process
- Preparation and filing of VAT returns and Intrastat in the UK and overseas
- Work with our tax advisors in the UK and overseas to support the preparation of tax computations
- Support the development of a robust control environment by continuously identifying opportunities to improve financial systems and processes and by implementing these changes
- Training and development of junior members of our finance team
- Produce ad-hoc reporting to communicate financial performance to management with recommendations
- Maintaining the chart of accounts and implementing system controls such as opening and closing the periods
- Ongoing non-business as usual project work within the finance team as and when required
The growth of the Group and the breadth of this role means that this position is expected to provide significant opportunity for development and increased responsibilities.
This is an ideal role for an individual looking for a first move outside public practice, with required skills and experience include the following:
- ACA qualified with a strong technical skillset
- Exposure to multi-national groups and ideally proven experience in multi-currency consolidations
- Able to thrive in a dynamic work environment and juggle competing priorities
- Excellent numeracy and IT skills
- Excellent attention to detail, performing all work with high levels of accuracy
- Open, friendly person who is proactive, keen to develop and work as part of a team
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for almost 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed companies, private equity-backed businesses and privately owned, early stage ventures. We recruit across all sectors, but have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. We have offices in the UK, Switzerland and Australia.