Interim Latin America Renewable Energy Specialist
The Prosperity Fund was announced as part of the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review. Working across developing markets, the primary purpose of the fund is to remove barriers to economic growth to reduce poverty, with a focus on promoting inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all. It will achieve this through programmes of technical assistance, supporting the development of policy frameworks, standards and systems that will underpin long-term, sustainable change.
This work will have a profound impact on what is procured, how and the companies that will be positioned to bid for contracts in supported markets. We want to maximise UK access to the design of these systems and standards as well as the subsequent opportunities these will create.
The primary focus of this role will be on realisation of commercial opportunities emerging from prosperity spend in Latin America. This will be a one year contract with the potential for a one year extension, depending on performance. The successful candidate will work to identify potential opportunities, support prosperity teams in structuring these to appeal to the broadest possible range of suppliers and support UK access to the resultant tenders. The secondary focus will be to share the learnings from this work, possibly though the development of focused educational materials and case studies.
The successful candidate will form part of the DIT Renewable Energy team, which comprises experienced civil servants and industry specialists across the renewable technology spectrum.
The successful candidate will:
- Support the core prosperity team in identifying early stage commercial opportunities arising from their work to support Latin American Governments;
- Support the structuring of these commercial opportunities to ensure they appeal to the largest range of potential suppliers, including those from the UK;
- Ensure that commercial opportunities are made visible to relevant UK suppliers and provide support, where required, for them to bid;
- Create a secondary commercial benefits success story and develop a framework that could be adopted by those working in future, similar roles;
- Create and sustain a long-term link between Prosperity and DIT work, with the former a pipeline development tool for the latter.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who:
- Has a strong business development background and experience in bidding for and winning international work;
- Is familiar with the renewable energy sector and UK strengths therein (the successful candidate can draw on the team’s collective knowledge, but should fully understand one or more renewable energy sub-sectors);
- Has experience of working in Latin America and with Government and associated organisations;
- Is an excellent team player, has good communications skills and a proactive approach;
- Is willing to undertake frequent international travel.