Head of Economics Unit (Grade 6)
Head of Economics Unit (Grade 6)
The Trade Remedies Authority
£58,574 - £68,392
You Protect, Britain Prospers
The Trade Remedies Authority (TRA) plays an important and rewarding role. We’ll be responsible for keeping trade free and fair ensuring that UK business competes on a level playing field after the UK leaves the European Union. Stepping in to investigate complaints of unfair trade, we’ll provide essential protection for UK industry, and in turn for the nation’s prosperity.
For you, it’s an unprecedented career opportunity. Play your part for the UK, make your mark in a new organisation.
Our team of economists, statisticians and operational researchers, assesses the impact of imports and trade measures – on UK industry. Join and you’ll be shaping the future of UK trade, while building the high-profile experience to progress your career.
As one of our most respected analysts, your insight will aid investigator colleagues, and support briefings of senior decision makers. Reporting directly to the Chief Economist, you’ll lead a team of economists as they assess cases for trade remedies, motivating and guiding the team to deliver high quality analysis in a dynamic environment. You will bring analytical expertise to influence decision-making, exploring innovative approaches and embedding analytical best practice in your work. From quantitative modelling to reviewing literature, your team will provide the evidence and draw out the conclusions we need to make the big decisions.
As a proven influencer, you have the gravitas to present complex analysis to the Authority, with the ability to think creatively about different analytical solutions to policy questions. This is an influential role that calls for strong data analysis in a fast-moving policy context.
As well as inspiring your team to ever-greater heights, you should have a flair for harnessing creativity and analysis as you tackle complex challenges.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Have an Economics Master’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Have an impressive advisory record
- Be experienced in leading large teams
- Significant knowledge of and practical post-qualification experience in a relevant field of economics
Ideally, you’ll also:
- Be Government Economic Service-accredited (or to be willing to work towards this)
- Have experience of trade policy or trade remedies and operating in an international context
Personal Attributes and Skills
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrable ability in undertaking economic analysis based on evidence-based assumptions; ability to apply economic techniques such as discounting, cost benefit analysis, and scenario modelling
- Ability to think creatively about different analytical solutions to policy questions, and experience of using quantitative analysis in a fast-moving policy context
- Experience of communicating economic analysis to lay stakeholders, so that the evidence is understood and used appropriately to support policy advice
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills, with the credibility and ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders. As the Head of the Economics Unit, you must be able to effectively interact and work with internal and external stakeholders collaboratively in a diverse international setting
- Understanding the political, economic and commercial context of operating in international trade
- A strong and confident senior leader, you will have the ability to motivate, inspire and guide the team and build a culture of delivering high quality results in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to handle high profile cases and ensure that relevant approvals processes are followed, with appropriate escalation of risks and issues as needed.
- Excellent project management skills, including planning and prioritisation skills; ability to deliver through others and effectively manage the team’s workload.