Chief Operating Officer
Defence Science Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) providing scientific, technical and analytical solutions and advice to frontline armed forces, MOD and wider Government, to protect our national security. Dstl is the largest public sector research establishment in the UK, with an annual turnover of £600M and over 4,000 employees, who operate across a diverse range of specialisms including information technologies, materials, explosives, and chemical & biological defence.
We have restructured the organisation to enable greater efficiency and to provide better value to our customers. Consequently, we have created a new position: Chief Operating Officer (COO), reporting to the Chief Executive. This is a tremendously exciting time to join Dstl; the organisation is undergoing significant transformation and is continually adapting to anticipate existing and new threats, both physical and virtual.
- Develop and deliver the operational strategy for Dstl;
- Lead a large and diverse operational unit, accountable for facilities, IT, health & safety and security;
- Ensure the organisation is safe, secure and compliant across a complex and multi-faceted estate in a unique high-hazard environment;
- Manage and deliver a number of complex transformation programmes;
- Manage key strategic Supply Partners and IT Service Delivery;
- Define and present appropriate investment decisions and business cases to central government;
- Drive commercial efficiencies and value across the organisation.
The candidate must have:
- An inspirational, collaborative and empowering leadership style; having managed a diverse workforce of 400+ staff, across IT, risk, health & safety and security;
- A successful track record of managing large and complex transformation and continuous improvement programmes across a multiple facility footprint over several locations;
- A public or private sector background, in a science and/or engineering led environment, preferably high-hazard; operating as a COO, Operations Director, General Manager or equivalent;
- Managed third party suppliers and a multi-dimensional supply chain; leading commercial and contractual negotiations driving optimum value;
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills; ability to build and sustain strong senior relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at the most senior level;
- Experience of government procurement and commercial processes.
The successful candidate with be a British citizen and will hold or be willing to obtain security clearance to Developed Vetting (DV) clearance level before taking up post.
Some national and international travel will be required.
For more information, please visit Odgers Berndtson website by clicking on Apply.
The closing date for applications is: 23:59 on Sunday 30 September 2018
If you would like a confidential conversation about this role please contact James Blackwood at Odgers Berndtson James.Blackwood@odgersberndtson.com or on 0207 529 3957.