Chief Operating Officer
A world-class, global C-suite is now being recruited to drive their ongoing expansion and position the company as the market leader within the Data industry. The company is rapidly growing with plans to triple headcount within the next 3 years. Their clients include many fortune 500 businesses, inspiring them to see the transformative power in understanding how their data could add to their success, from creating an AI-enabled inventory management system to building a smart city of tomorrow.
Background to the Appointment
To ensure the success of the expansion one of the most significant hires will be the Chief Operating Officer. As a lieutenant to the CEO they will be responsible for all internal and external workings of the business. Unlike many COO roles it will have significant client and market exposure. The role will report directly to the CEO and be a key part of the strategic decision making of the business. There will be the expectation for frequent global travel.
About the Role
The successful candidate will help to build top class international organisation, taking on full responsibility for the geographical and departmental planned expansion, including full P&L responsibility. The business currently has offices in 5 cities globally.
The COO is a key member of the senior management team, reporting only to the CEO. Maintaining control of diverse business operations, being an experienced and efficient leader with excellent people skills, business acumen and exemplary work ethic. It is imperative to be an effective teambuilder and always see the bigger picture. With a very broad management responsibility having maturity, gravitas and charisma will be essential in this role.
The goal of the COO position is to secure the functionality of business to drive extensive and sustainable growth.
This position will have several elements which ultimately will enable the company to deliver on the strategic objective, including:
- Driving global expansion of the business and its client base
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Identifying, developing and managing key client relationships
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
- Focussed on long term revenue generation
- Operating as the main link between revenue, operations and sales
- Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Oversee daily operations of the company and the work of executives (IT, Marketing, Sales, etc.)
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Assist CEO in fundraising ventures
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances etc.)
- Manage relationships with partners/vendors
- Bringing new operations to the ground
You should have an exceptional track record, with at least 15 years of experience in top companies:
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Understanding of business functions such as Sales, HR, Finance, marketing etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Experience in fundraising will be a plus
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a plus
You'll need to be an inspiring leader who can mobilise people. You MUST be excited and passionate about the company and its opportunities for the future.
You should be a confident presenter and communicator. You'll be empathetic and have exceptional soft-skills be able to listen and be flexible / adaptable, but also comfortable to be direct and candid when required. You should be a strong decision maker, calm, composed, unflappable, able to deal with the gamut of issues that arise in fast growing organisations.
You should be a team builder, able to design and establish an effective structure and grow / hire a team of top class people, with an excellent network to draw from. You should be able to grow and develop the individuals.
You should be highly organised and able to hold many details in your mind from a number of different areas simultaneously, be able to effectively prioritise, be adaptable, agile, and have a strong action-bias.
As a personality we're looking for someone who is smart, humble, hard-working, quietly confident, respectful, action-biased, driven, ambitious, solutions-orientated, and hungry for knowledge. Your style should be open, inclusive, trustworthy, and a collaborative team player. You'll also need good energy and stamina. You should want to work in a meritocracy where everyone is encouraged to give a view, and the best solution wins the day regardless of rank or title. You should be happy to operate on the borderline between autonomy and anarchy.
You should have an appreciation of creative content and fast-growth tech or platform companies. You are familiar with global, fast-growing and distributed workforce
Key Attractions to the Role:
- Competitive base salary, with very attractive equity package
- Global Travel