Director of Finance and Operations
- Oversee financial strategy and operations in the UK
- Govern financial operations in all territories in which UWS operates
About Our Client
United World Schools (UWS) is dedicated to improving the educational opportunities for the world's poor and marginalised children. UWS teach the unreached and support communities by providing a free basic education.
UWS provides a flexible education model that is simple yet effective in remote regions. The model ensures that national curriculum requirements are followed and teachers are supported to implement grass-root educational programmes which are locally anchored, protecting indigenous languages, cultures and customs.
UWS has an opportunity to expand its global reach. Fund-raising and expenditure has grown every year since 2013 and UWS are scaling up what they know works: as of July 2018 over 20,000 children have been to, or are attending, a UWS community school in Cambodia and Myanmar. The next goal for UWS is clear - to transform the future of 50,000 children and young adults by developing 150+ schools in areas of significant educational poverty.
United World Schools is in the exciting position of recruiting for a Finance and Operations Director. This is a new role for the UWS Team and one that is vital to sustain growth as an impact-focused, highly efficient, ambitious and lean educational organisation.
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance and Operations Director will directly oversee financial strategy and operations in the UK and govern financial operations in all territories in which UWS operate. This includes working with all staff to translate strategic objectives into operational plans.
The role also includes operational leadership of the core team, including HR, IT, risk and compliance. The objective is to support the core team to continue to learn and develop, and therefore have the skills and capabilities to deliver the day-to-day operations of a fast growing charity.
The Successful Applicant
As Director Finance and Operations you will be responsible for the smooth running of the charity, and will influence leadership of UWS in every country in which UWS operate.
You must be a fully qualified (preferably Chartered) Accountant with proven senior leadership experience, including finance team development, and experience in working with non-executive stakeholders or Trustees. It is expected that you will have experience or capability in the following areas:
- Relevant HR qualifications or experience
- Experience of financial governance processes, including risk management and internal audit in geographically remote areas
- Experience in the analysis and evaluation of performance data, both financial and operational
- Experience of working in international / growth environments
- A proven ability to generate and deliver collective vision and shared purpose
- A proven ability to monitor and evaluate the work of others and to offer support, influence and intervention where necessary
- Experience of and/or exposure to different CRM and accountancy systems
- Experience of and/or exposure to charity reporting and compliance or a willingness to learn
- A high level knowledge of the characteristics of effective teaching and learning and how improvement can be achieved
- The ability to build rapport with others from a range of backgrounds
- Be determined, persuasive, ambitious, flexible, co-operative and a pro-active team player… which means you commit and deliver for the cause
- Demonstrable interest, enthusiasm and empathy with the work of United World Schools, with a commitment to making a positive difference to children and young people from remote communities
What's on Offer
To £70,000 plus benefits.
Central London location, with regular international travel.
This is a fascinating and deeply rewarding role, offering an outstanding individual a chance to play a key leadership role in a rapidly growing charity.
Ref Code: MPFE13941385Z