Head of Financial Planning & Analysis
Job Title: Head of FP&A
Reports To: CFO
Supervises: Current team size of 4 (1 open role)
Location: Milton Keynes / Central London
Retail Merchant Services (RMS) is a UK based payments services organisation. We have been in business for over ten years and currently employ over 250 colleagues.
Our mission is to help smaller, independent businesses thrive, grow and succeed. We do this by offering card payment services to ensure businesses always make the sale. We also partner to provide additional financial services to help businesses unlock vital cash flow to support their business ambitions.
We have big plans to expand both our company and our offerings, and are looking for talented, energetic and passionate people to join our team and be part of our ambitious journey.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the CFO, the successful candidate will be a senior and key addition to our Finance & Business Intelligence team.
The expectation is that this role works not only with the FP&A team but also with the wider business on the understanding and communication of key financial data. The Head of FP&A analyst will be expected to update and improve upon the business financial model and work through varying sensitivity and scenario analyses on current and projected business performance
A new role for the RMS Finance team, this position will report to the CFO and will be responsible for the leadership and evolution of the FP&A function within the department. This role will be responsible for supporting the monthly reporting processes, managing the planning and forecasting tools and model and providing adhoc financial analysis to support decision making across the business. The Head of FP&A will lead a team of analysts (currently 3) who provide business partnering support across the company to assist with the build up of team performance KPIs (both target and tracking actual delivery), help provide clarity over effectiveness of the different areas of the operation and deliver financial analysis of customer, product or market performance as required.
In addition, this role is responsible for driving improvements in business intelligence across the company through the delivery of management information that provides actionable business insight. The business is currently moving to a data warehouse environment with a web based reporting tool, and the Head of FP&A will be instrumental in championing usage and adoption throughout the company.
While reporting to the CFO this role will have extensive exposure to the CEO as well as the wider Leadership Team.
This position maintains an important role to optimise business performance by leading the forecasting, planning and financial analysis efforts for the division and by making these processes accessible broadly throughout the division. As the RMS CEO, CEO and Exec Team are the primary business owners for assessing progress against financial goals and objectives, the Head of FP&A will have a broad impact across the organisation. This impact will be demonstrated through the annual planning process, periodic financial forecasts and ad hoc analysis of business initiatives, including capex investment.
- Team Leadership: Recruit, develop and mentor FP&A analysts into the team; work with the CFO to scope out role of team and ensure high quality of people and processes from the start
- Planning/Forecasting Process: Responsible for leading the budgeting, planning and forecasting activities of the division; key deliverables include building up a robust and scalable plan model underpinned by rationale and clearly understood inputs, as well as playing integral role in production of plan/forecast review materials
- Financial Reporting: Delivery of monthly board report and supporting management information pack with analysis of prior month performance, key business trends being observed and short/medium term outlook risks and opportunities; support CFO in provision of high level commentary on results for distribution; assist the CFO in development of an operational KPI dashboard to sit alongside financial reporting
- Business Intelligence: Drive the provision of key management reports and analysis across the company, and provide guidance to the analysts within the business in delivering actionable insights based on data; Ownership of data analysis across the company to ensure consistency on data analysis, KPIs across all areas of the business
- Ad hoc support of business units: Key contact for analysis requests from the business units, specifically relating to both trading/customer performance; Supporting in key M&A analysis including co-ordination of financial due diligence with the CFO and leadership team.
Skills and Experience:
- Qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA - 1st time passes preferred); significant PQE
- Experience with analysis, forecasting, budgeting and management reporting
- Excellent analytical, communication and influencing skills (both written and oral), preferably with commercial exposure in previous roles
- Ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, e.g. sales, finance, operations, marketing
- Proven self-starter with experience of being able to work independently, juggling and prioritising across workloads and consistently meeting deadlines
- Strong track record of team leadership
- Advanced knowledge of Excel with experience of manipulating large datasets and modelling skills
- Strong attention to detail, yet also showing ability to surface the key material issues
- Experience of Business Objects / Tableau (or similar) while not essential, would be advantageous
- Positive proactive can do work ethic
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to prioritise across many different tasks
- To have a friendly and approachable attitude to work
- To be flexible and adaptable and self-motivated worker
- Effective at planning and organising
- Good communicator
- Thorough and analytical
- Ability to learn quickly