My client, a retailer based in London, is looking for someone with extensive experience in agile delivery to galvanize their transformation portfolio into a well-oiled single version of the truth.
The main need is for an interim who has worked in an agile environment but who can manage a whole suite of projects, some of which are clunky or waterfall, some of which are hybrids and others of which are truly agile. The individual needs to have experience coaching a team of project and programme managers through agile delivery. The 'how' is as important as the 'what'.
My client is struggling to track where they are as a portfolio because nobody can assess the progress of each individual project against the core business/customer objectives, as one communication. This means that prioritisation and risk/issue management are very difficult.
The successful individual:
- Needs to have experience managing a portfolio of projects than span agile and waterfall with some hybrid projects in between
- Must have coached inexperienced teams to behave in an agile way/track in an agile way.
- Needs to have developed the KPIs and governance to be able to accurately track progress of these projects as one portfolio (e.g. if you're on the 15th sprint of an agile project, and the third scheduled release of a waterfall project, how can I see where we really are vs. where we need to be, and how can we manage the associated risks in the most effective way?)
- Will NOT be a pure Digital/IT person. The capability sits more in the portfolio management space, though you do need to have a significant amount of agile experience.
- Industry is not hugely important but Retail experience is a plus.