Chief Officer - Finance, Resources and Innovation
Avon & Somerset Constabulary is looking for a new Chief Finance Officer.
Having delivered a range of major changes over recent years the force is well positioned to move towards its goal of being “outstanding”. To achieve that the force needs to build on the good foundations that it has in organisation, technology and resources. It needs to address the continuing financial squeeze with efficiency, productivity and effectiveness.
The role is above and beyond the usual boundaries of a Chief Financial Officer by leading the incubation of initiatives that integrate technology and resources with the operation of the force and other developments to ensure that the force can maximise its productivity and efficiency.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Constable to ensure that new proposals are fit for purpose, can be integrated with existing force developments and be implemented in a planned, sustainable, and organised way.
- Lead the innovation effort. Optimise the integration of technology innovation, resource developments, modernisation of services and enhance productivity by challenging assumptions and developing future development pathway options.
- Carry out the duties of the Chief Finance Officer and section 151 accountabilities.
- Work with other Chief Officers to ensure that the needs and future requirements of all Directorates are integrated within any innovation.
- Measure the real world impact of potential developments in systems, processes and technology.
- Maximising the sustainability and resilience of our financial and wider force resources.
- Ensure that force financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
- Ensure a fit for purpose and reliable financial strategy that supports the force to realise its vision, balancing the need for efficiency savings, productivity and investment impact.
- Ensure a fit for purpose and reliable plan is in place for the use and effectiveness of physical resources and assets to support the force to realise its vision.
- Take overall control of the accounting function, leading and developing finance teams.
- Ensure corporate budgeting processes are carried out and reviewed.
- Liaise with the Treasurer to ensure good governance.
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met.
- Manage force policies regarding capital requirements, debt, taxation, equity, disposals and acquisitions, as appropriate.
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with external parties.
For more information and to apply, please visit