Non-Executive Board Director
Non-Executive Board Director
East West Railway Company
£15,000 per annum, based on 15-20 days attendance
East West Railway Company is a new and exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of the changing landscape of the rail industry, delivering substantial fast-paced improvement to modernise the railway.
East West Rail is a proposed new rail link between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Cambridge and potentially beyond. As part of the wider plans for this strategically important corridor, it is one of the most high profile infrastructure projects in the UK today. The new railway will improve local connectivity and serve as a catalyst for economic development and the creation of new housing, as well as significantly reducing existing journey times.
In the 2017 Budget, it was announced that the East West Railway Company would be established to bring new drive and focus to the project. The Secretary of State for Transport recently launched the company, highlighting its role to bring innovation, to deliver more quickly and cost-effectively than existing models, and to develop competition with Network Rail. The company is now scaling up significantly as it prepares to take on obligations relating to the delivery of the Western Section and Central Sections of the scheme, which will provide both innovative upgrades to existing track and to design then construct new infrastructure.
The role of the board and its Non-Executive Directors is essential as it will Guide, encourage and support the Leadership team, establishing a strong team empowered to deliver EWR Co.’s strategic aims and objectives.
As Non-Executive Director of East West Railway Company, you will:
- Provide advice to the organisation, representing the interests of the customer within the expectations of Government, regulatory and commercial stakeholders
- Champion the EWR Co. vision and objectives, challenging Board decisions where appropriate to maintain the aspired strategic direction and culture
- Provide constructive challenge and hold the Leadership Team to account for effective and efficient delivery against the agreed strategy and business plan
- Facilitate discussion on key programmatic issues, balancing the legitimate interests of EWR Co. with external stakeholders together with what is considered to be best for the customer journey
- Challenge and scrutinise the Board and the validity of recommendations made; demonstrating sound independent judgement
- Offer alternative perspectives to the rail industry norm, based on an ability to consider strategic, complex and often sensitive issues from an informed and balanced viewpoint
Collectively the Non-Executive Directors should demonstrate a broad range of experiences and skills, which collectively cover the following:
- Excellent customer insight
- Advanced leadership and people management skills
- Complex and capital intensive programme delivery/project management
- Large-scale operating environments
- Planning process for large, complex programmes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Independent judgement with the ability to constructively challenge and encourage
- Stakeholder engagement – preferably management, government or local authority experience
- Negotiation and alignment of conflicting stakeholder interests with the ability to resolve disputes
- Complex financing and funding arrangements, including PFI and PPP arrangements
- Corporate strategy development and implementation
For full details on the role, please click "Apply".
Please note that although this advert expires on 10th August 2018, applications will be accepted via the Odgers Berndtson website until Thursday 16th August 2018.