Global Director of Finance
Why Choose Us?
Since 1969, Sotheby’s Institute of Art – London has been among the world’s leading postgraduate level institutions offering Master’s degrees and other courses devoted to the study of art and its markets. Initially, the Institute served as a training program for auction house employees that pioneered new educational offerings. Since 1995 the London Institute has been an affiliated institution of the University of Manchester, the most eminent of the English civic universities and part of the esteemed Russell Group. With campuses in London, New York and Los Angeles, Sotheby’s Institute offers graduate level programs that are relevant to an art world that is constantly seeking individuals with depth of understanding, art historical scholarship and business acumen.
Reporting into the CEO, SIA London with a dotted line to the Director of the NY Institute, the Global Director of Finance will be responsible for all finance and accounting operations within the Sotheby’s Institute of Art group. This will entail working with relevant CEO/Directors both to set the overall financial strategy and to report the detailed monitoring of the actuals against the budget month by month. You will be a member of the Senior Management Team in London, alongside the Group Executive committee. This role forms an integral part of the group’s global planning and operations and thus requires a Finance professional with both management experience and an excellent technical skill set. You will be required to travel to New York several times a year.
- Fully qualified accountant (CA, ACA, ACCA or CIMA)
- Previous experience in a similar position, including experience of providing Financial Control as part of a group of companies
- Sound and up to date knowledge of UKGAAP, USGAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Experience of managing staff within a finance department
- Ability to work under pressure and manage conflicting priorities, handling a number of tasks at the same time
- Self-starter able to work on own initiative and with speed and precision; able to follow up issues and chase action without prompting; handle unexpected issues in the Director’s absence in an appropriate manner and solve problems
As an employer of choice Sotheby’s Institute of Art offers an extensive benefits package including:
- Pension - Employer contribution: currently 5% of basic pay
- Life assurance: 4x basic salary
- Private medical insurance
- Travel insurance: business travel and personal accident cover
- 25 days’ paid holiday leave in addition to 8 English bank and other public holidays
Closing Date – 18th July
Interview Date – Week commencing 30th July
Please do not wait until the closing date to apply as initial interviews will be conducted throughout the process.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Eleanor De Nardo on 0207 259 8745.
Further details and apply, please visit