This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the country’s most impressive, privately owned and still market leading retailers. Having trail-blazed from in inception over a century ago, the business remains one of the strongest names in UK retail and still sees an increasingly exponential growth curve as they embrace new products, channels and innovative strategies.
Following a board-level strategic review, there is now a need to recruit a class leading Managing Director to bring strong commercial leadership and vision to the business and prepare it for continued success over the forthcoming decade(s) with a firm eye on technology, e-Commerce and a data driven economy.
This is a highly exciting opportunity as the Company sees the appointee in this pivotal role as a critical part of the senior management team and as such expect the individual to continue to develop their career within the business to the very highest level.
The MD will inspire, lead and develop the senior management team with clear objectives and focus, seeking to maximise profitable sales in this ever evolving market and retail landscape. You will continually improve operational standards and drive forward to measures with the clear objective of improving revenue and earnings by refining and targeting existing product ranges/brands, introducing new/innovative products and services whilst developing new offerings to new and existing customers. But ideation and adventurous strategies around technology and digital transformation will be the key focus for ensuring continued long-term success, with a constant eye on the development of the retail operations performance, different formats, growing and sustaining competitive advantage and maximising business development opportunities.
- Strategy and Business Planning
- Digital/Technological Transformation
- Employee Direction and Leadership
- Business Performance against all metrics & KPIs set
- Retail Operations
- Driving the retail business performance within stores and online
- Ensure that full attention is given to customers and that they are provided with a high level of service. There will be a perceived point of difference with competitors
- To lead and manage the development of the business, both strategically and operationally
- Being the source of ideation to embrace and capitalise on technological and digital advances, designing transformative strategies, detailing them to the Board, and ensuring successful delivery
- To meet budget expectations, adding value to all activities and helping to achieve excellent customer experience and sustainable competitive advantage
- Promote best practice in delivering the highest standards of operational integrity across the product portfolio
- Take full responsibility for the achievement of key objectives (sales, cash and capital expenditure) rapidly becoming familiar with the business, its culture, markets and products
- Ensure the product range is competitive and meets or exceeds customer expectations
- Ensure the company’s operational infrastructure supports the business plan and that the company complies fully with regulatory and legislative requirements
- Benchmark business performance and processes against industry best practice, proposing to the Board change where necessary
- Continually strive to introduce new innovations including services and products
The successful candidate will be an accomplished retailer with a demonstrable track record and a proven ability to drive growth through the optimisation of existing stores and product mix coupled with the creativity to identify and launch pertinent new propositions.
They will will have come from a technology rich background/environment. Perhaps as a CTO/CIO within retail, but equally likely from an eCommerce/Multi-Channel retail environment demonstrating truly commercial/operational leadership.
As an individual with a passion for Technology, Digital development, the Retail/Customer Journey but especially for business, the MD will design and lead the strategic roadmap for the business, while ensuring they are delivered in full, timely and within the generous budget. They will leverage resources across the business to ensure proper deployment of projects and build key business relationships that are critical to the success of the strategy, and its component parts.
As MD, they will have a track record of providing meaningful leadership in a service led retail environment, developing successful, high performing teams and fostering a ‘can-do/will-do’ attitude.
They will have recent, significant experience in an entrepreneurial environment with a flat, direct management structure and a very strong action orientated culture. They will ooze entrepreneurial spark, flair, drive and vision and be a natural leader. It will be immediately obvious why the appointee has been successful.