Group Commercial Finance Director
- Outstanding, high-profile role with one of the Midland's leading plcs
- Based in Central Birmingham
About Our Client
National Express operates transportation services in eight countries (UK, USA, Canada, Spain, Morocco, Switzerland and Bahrain). The Group holds the largest market share for long haul coach transport in both Spain and the UK and is the second largest school bus provider in North America. National Express also operates urban bus and transit operations in the USA, Canada, Morocco, Spain and the UK. Having disposed of its final UK rail franchise in 2017, its sole rail operations are now in Germany.
The National Express name first appeared on UK coaches in 1972 and the Company was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1992. Since then it has grown to become a business with a global transport portfolio. The Group employs over 45,000 people and operates over 29,000 vehicles. In 2017 National Express generated revenues of £2,321m., profit of £241m. and £146m. free cash flow.
National Express is looking to the future with confidence. It has a clear strategy, based on three strategic priorities: delivering operational excellence, deployment of technology and growing the business through acquisitions and market diversification. In 2017 the Group made nine bolt-on acquisitions and has a strong pipeline of future opportunities.
The principle purpose of the role is to lead the Group's commercial finance activity and to drive the performance management focus. You will be the link between Group and each division and work closely with the Group Executive Committee providing forward looking decision support. Reporting directly to the Group CFO, the role requires strong leadership and first class influencing skills to work in partnership with the board of directors to drive business performance.
You must be comfortable influencing at board level and combine the ability to think strategically with a positive hands-on attitude. You will have a track record of success in similar, commercially focused finance roles and be someone capable of developing a high performing team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading the group's strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting processes
- Overseeing the Group FP&A function, directly supporting the executive committee with a focus on driving performance for the group
- Delivering the Group's periodic capital and M&A reporting
- Supporting the Group Commercial Director in M&A transactions and bids
- Managing the group investment appraisal process and supporting with investor relation activity
The Successful Applicant
Cultural and personality fit is critical. The successful candidate must be commercially astute, have high intellect, strong influencing skills and significant drive and energy.
A track record of success in driving and challenging performance will also be important, within fast paced, complex organisations. With this will come an appreciation of what good looks like to increase the level of finance engagement and business partnering across the wider group.
In addition to being a talented, dynamic individual the new Group Commercial Finance Director will have:
- A degree and ACA/CIMA/ACCA qualification and experience in blue chip businesses
- Significant experience in fast-paced multi-site businesses
- Strong business partnering skills; the ability to provide strategic, analytical and operational support - a well-rounded business person
- Sound international credentials - strong cultural awareness and the ability to work as part of a geographically and culturally diverse team
- Commercial flair and acumen - the ability to see the whole picture without losing sight of detail
- Excellent communication and questioning skills, with the authority to gain respect
- The ability to lead, develop and mentor a finance function
- A strong track record of leading high-performing finance teams
- Spanish language skills would be advantageous
What's on Offer
Market leading package, including six-figure basic and outstanding benefits & bonus
Ref Code: MPFE13928284Z