Synthomer is a specialist chemical company and one of the world’s major suppliers of aqueous polymers - with leadership positions in many of its key markets. With circa 2,900 people across 18 countries, and 25 manufacturing sites located around the world, the Group delivered annual revenues of £1,480m and underlying profit of £130m in 2017.
Synthomer has its operational headquarters in London, UK, and provides customer-focused services from regional Innovation centres in Harlow (UK); Marl (Germany); Kluang (Malaysia) and Roebuck (USA). The Group has grown significantly through a combination of organic growth and M&A investment, and the organisation remains highly active in targeting speciality chemical acquisition opportunities.
The business’ success has enabled it to dramatically increase its internal capital investment programme across the company, with significant plant expansion programmes underway to grow its global manufacturing capacity, introduce new products, geographical strength, and to support future growth.
- Due to the retirement of the current Engineering Director, Synthomer are looking for an outstanding individual with the leadership, technical, business and influencing skills to support the demanding global operations change programme required by their ambitious growth plans
- Reporting to the Global VP Operations you will be responsible for defining and implementing Engineering standards across all sites, and the leadership of engineering expert groups. You will define the principles to be adopted and standards to be met at each site for all major Engineering projects.
- Developing Project Excellence capability via communication, training, coaching & mentoring initiatives and by personal engagement with project teams, you will ensure governance processes and activities are in place to ensure Project Excellence standards are being met
- With steering group membership for major projects and provision of technical expertise and guidance, you will develop and deliver ‘Hidden Plant’ and Energy initiatives in support of Synthomer’s manufacturing value gap closure.
- Synthomer is looking for a proven Engineering leader from the specialty chemicals or process industries sectors, where you will have been responsible for engineering across a multi-site network of plants. This will have been gained in a business where engineering and manufacturing excellence (OEE & OTIF) are part and parcel of the company’s culture, and where health & safety performance is a key business priority.
- Possessing excellent programme / project management skills, you will be a strong communicator with the ability to influence and persuade a wide range of stakeholders in a matrixed environment, and drive the change required by a growing and ambitious organisation.
- With strong people management & team leadership skills, you will have a proven ability to operate in an international business environment and across different cultures.
- Culturally, you will be familiar with a customer-led, proactive, and solutions-focussed approach. As such you will be hands-on, self-motivated and results-driven. You will need to be comfortable with travel, and being based away from home, as a regular requirement of the role. Likely to be educated to degree-level in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering; being fluent in German will be highly advantageous but not essential.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; Jonathan Burke on 0113 3868500.