Director of Communications & Audience Insight
We look after special places for ever, for everyone. Our purpose has never changed – and never will – but we know that we cannot afford to stand still. Right now, we’re more innovative and creative in the ways we’re reaching out to people than ever before. We’re making great progress and working much harder to make sure that the places and spaces we look after are accessible and enjoyed by a diverse audience, after all we want everyone to feel at home at the National Trust. A unified, creative and forward-thinking communications and audience insight strategy will undoubtedly strengthen our success here. And that’s where you come in.
What it's like to work here
Heelis, Swindon is one of the Central Offices for the National Trust; it was named after one of the Trust’s biggest benefactors Mrs William Heelis. The office has over 700 staff from across the Trust’s directorates. The Executive team and the Director General, are based here.
Heelis was designed to be highly sustainable and has won a number of nationally recognised awards. Designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Architects in 2005, this architectural gem uses timber from our woodlands and wool from Herdwick sheep grazed on Trust farmlands, to help make Heelis a unique working environment.
Heelis Swindon is where this role is based. However this role will necessarily require extensive travel across our regions and countries.
This is a new role to our Executive Team and an incredible opportunity to make your mark on an established and reputable brand.
What you'll be doing
You will join our Executive Team as Director of Communications & Audience Insight. You’ll develop the strategy that sets exactly what we say, when we say it and who we’re saying it to. Using your PR and brand management expertise, you’ll bring communication clarity to our brand, growing further support and engagement for our organisation. With your finger on the pulse, you’ll champion the highest quality content – especially digitally – across all channels, engaging and attracting current and future audiences. A natural communicator, networker and strategist, you’ll build strong internal and external relationships that will help put our purpose in the hearts of the people that work here and all our visitors.
Who we're looking for
You’ll be a skilled communications professional with an in-depth understanding of media platforms, audiences and marketing. You’ll be working at a senior level in a large complex organisation with a breadth of responsibility including media relations, external affairs, communications and marketing.
We’re looking for a director of the highest calibre with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience including:
- An outstanding leader of high performing senior teams who can execute large scale change
- Excellent communication, presentation and stakeholder management skills – to internal and external audiences
- Understands, creates and implements marketing and external affairs strategies
- Have demonstrable knowledge of the heritage and not-for-profit sectors
- Be a creative thinker who drives innovation and change
- Interpret and communicate strategic priorities and encourage engagement at all levels
- Strong business acumen and financial management skills
Looking after you
- £1000 towards out-patient consultations, treatment, diagnostic tests and psychiatric treatment
- £1000 towards a range of complimentary therapies including but not limited to physiotherapy, chiropractic and acupuncture
- Full refund for MRI, CT and PET scans
- Full refund for in-patient and day-patient hospital charges and accommodation
- Full refund for cancer treatments, consultations, radiotherapy and chemotherapy
- A combined NHS cash benefit of up to £4500
- Option to upgrade your cover at your own cost to include your partner or children
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
Closing Date: 1st July 2018
1st interviews will be held on 23rd July (Heelis or Bristol), 26th July (Heelis) and 27th July (Northern Ireland)