General Counsel and Company Secretary
- Up to £125k plus bonus and benefits
- City of Bristol (GB)
Bristol Water is a unique and privately owned water utility that is undergoing a journey of change and transformation. The pace of progress and change in the organisation has recently accelerated following investment from new infrastructure investors and the appointment of a new Chief Executive, Mel Karam.
Bristol Water provides drinking and industrial water supplies to over a million customers in the Bristol area spread over one thousand square miles. Revenue is £110 million and their 500 employees are mostly based at their head office in South Bristol.
A highly motivated and credible General Counsel and Company Secretary is sought who will report directly to the CEO, with further accountability to the Chairman and Board. The role will carry a broad range of responsibilities and lead a multi-functional team – key responsibilities include:
- Manage and develop the company’s in-house legal team
- Manage and develop other teams/employees within the legal, property and compliance function and take overall responsibility for their wider remit
- Responsible for the management and effectiveness of the Internal Audit Programme
- Responsible for the management and effectiveness of the compensation and insurance claims and the annual review of corporate insurance.
- Responsible for legal and regulatory compliance within a robust compliance management framework
- Act as Company Secretary including administration of Board and committee meetings and agenda, maintaining statutory registers and ensuring that the company complies within its statutory/regulatory obligations.
Suitable candidates will be qualified lawyers with strong and wide ranging corporate experience. Leadership of a multi-functional team (such as property, insurance, etc.) is sought, with a further essential requirement being a depth of knowledge around commercial law (such as contracts, procurement etc.), as well as having a flexible, ‘can do’ approach. Strong communication skills are critical.
It is essential that Company Secretary experience is held with a strong appreciation of corporate governance and Board administration in a Plc environment (Bristol Water is stringently regulated with governance, compliance and Board administration being akin to a listed business)
Please apply with your CV, covering note and salary details, quoting reference number IDBB5872. Alternatively telephone +44 (0) 845 261 0600.