This private equity-backed multi-site consumer business requires an experienced, strategic CFO to facilitate its aggressive growth plans over the next 3-4 years. This CFO is expected to be a business partner to the CEO and drive continuous improvement across the business.
- Performance Management & Decision Support: It is crucial that the CFO runs a finance that demonstrably and unequivocally adds value by actively managing the performance of the business in close partnership with the CEO and other senior directors.
- Reporting & Performance Monitoring: Ensuring the business produces appropriate performance reports on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. These need to be accurate and provide meaningful insights into the absolute, relative and trend line performance of the business.
- Planning and Budgeting: Collaborating with the CEO and the rest of the management team, the CFO will prepare, propose and ultimately seek Board approval for the year’s budget and the (3 year) forward financial plan for the business.
- Commercial Finance: The CFO and the Commercial Finance team should be absolutely integral to the business’s decision making and processes.
- Investor Relations: The CFO will be taking the lead role along with the CEO in interfacing with investors (both debt & equity), communicating with bond holders and managing the relevant processes.
- M&A: Working with the CEO (and other members of management team), the CFO will play a key role in assessing, evaluating and negotiating and executing opportunities to acquire or sell business assets or businesses in line with the overall strategy and direction of the business.
- Property Acquisition: The CFO is responsible for a Head of Property Acquisition and a team of 6 in acquisition and estate management.
- Property Development: The development team of c.12 people report into the CFO and are responsible for the delivery of newly acquired sites and major refurbishments of the existing estate. The CFO chairs the capex committee where all major capital investments for both new sites and refurbishments are approved.
- Legal: The CFO will oversee legal support to the business with a specific focus on Trademarks & IP as well as more general legal services and advice through a network of retained and ad hoc law firms and individuals.
- ACA Qualified with a strong firm – likely big 4, 1st time passes etc.
- Strong blue-chip background
- Ideally, been a CFO of a PE owned and/or company before or been very close to the senior role (either internally or as an adviser) and ready to take next step.
- Significant experience in multi-site retail, leisure or other business with substantial property/development portfolio.
- Degree educated from strong institution – clear evidence of intellectual capacity and a good learner.
- Highly numerate and analytical with a high level of competence in numerical analysis and overseeing modelling and financial management
- Highly intelligent with a good base of learning and experience on which to base judgement as well as fact-based decision making
- A natural eye and appetite for detail but always able to see the bigger picture and potential as well
- Appropriate technical accounting skills and capacity to guide the team in consideration and application of all the general principles of accounting practice