Experts Pool: Senior Education Specialist (Education Technology)
Experts Pool: Senior Education Specialist (Education Technology)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Education Sector Group Secretariat within the Sector Advisory Service Cluster of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. He/She is also expected to support development of ICT strategies, conceptualization of new business models and approaches for pipeline development, and identification of knowledge partners. The incumbent will report to Chief of Education SG and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
Education technology is gradually disrupting the education sector and driving innovations in education to transform teaching and learning at all levels. There are increasing demands from ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs) that ADB-supported operations mainstream/blend information and communications technology (ICT) to improve (i) access, (ii) quality and (iii) efficiency. The expert will help scale-up mainstreaming of ICT in education operations, which features prominently in the EdSG work plan priorities in the medium term. The expert will be required to support education sector development through ICT use for DMCs for improving equity and learning outcomes at all levels, improving digital literacy and promoting lifelong learning. Against this backdrop, the expert will support work led by SDSC-EDU and will include:
- Support the preparation of ICT strategies and implementation plans for ADB’s education sector operations in close coordination with Education SG (EdSG);
- Identify emerging and successful models of ICT use (e.g. massive open online courses, popular ICT platforms) in transforming teaching and learning with focus on improving student learning outcomes and equity;
- Take stock of how different DMCs are integrating ICT in education and skill development in terms of master plan, ICT policy and investment plans;
- Identify and assist 2-3 projects per year in conceptualizing, processing or implementing ADB’s education sector projects/programs that include mainstreaming ICT application and/or supporting ICT components;
- Based on emerging needs and priorities, conceptualize and foster new approaches and business models to develop new pipeline projects to embed ICT for scaling up quality education at all levels;
- Identify priority ICT areas such as learning management system, teacher and school principal professional development, e-textbooks and e-learning materials, personalized learning system, online adaptable learning programs, online assessment, online career counseling and guidance system, labor market intelligence system, educational management information system, etc., to promote quality at scale for all;
- Identify potential knowledge partners that could bring knowledge, expertise and additional resources to work together with ADB to promote ICT integration in education and skills development in different DMCs.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in technology, engineering, or social science in relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- Extensive professional experience in education reforms with ICT application at operational and policy levels, preferably in advanced and developing countries. The expert should be familiar with (i) the latest developments in ICT-enabled teaching and learning and in promoting skills development; (ii) most effective ICT platforms and technology that are contributing to improved learning and labor market outcomes; (iii) major institutions and networks that are involved in ICT for education and skill development; and (iv) education reforms that are promoting digital literacy effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.