Experts Pool: Senior Digital Technology Specialist (Financial Technology Services)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Finance Sector Group Secretariat within the Sector Advisory Service Cluster of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. He/She is also expected to manage the capacity development and training programs on digital financial technologies. The incumbent will report to Chief of Finance Sector Group, and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
Digital financial technology services such as smartphones, tablets, and handheld devices are reshaping communications and are making financial services to people and businesses more affordable, accessible and appropriate than in the past. These technologies can help transform the lives of those who are financially and socially excluded. In recent years financial service providers are also including other technologies and innovations that bring with them different benefits and impacts: mobile internet and big data can for example reduce cost, biological recognition and artificial intelligence can improve access to clients and help recognize risks, and cloud computing and blockchain can help improve efficiency.
The expert will support work led by SDSC-FIN and will include:
- Support with (i) identification of potential projects where digital financial technology services can be integrated with the objective to expand access to finance and to promote financial and social inclusion; (ii) assessing suitable payment technologies and systems that are required to enable introduction of digital financial technology services in the location; (iii) designing, implementing and monitoring of projects/programs/technical assistance/pilot projects that integrate digital financial technology services;
- Identify legal and regulatory requirements that are needed to adopt the cashless means of transacting activities;
- Identify needs for digital finance literacy and campaign strategy;
- Develop and provide capacity development and training programs to enhance skills on digital financial technologies within ADB and for stakeholders of developing member countries;
- Contribute to the preparation of briefing notes, speeches and other documentation as required to support management participation in regional and global platforms related to digital financial technology services;
- Act as resource person and engage in policy dialogue on establishment of financing frameworks and related policies, and promote adoption of global best practices in the area of digital financial technology services;
- Support in identifying best practice examples, guidelines, checklists—including project structures, boilerplate contracts and relevant policies—and disseminate these through internal and external networks;
- Collaborate with the Finance Sector Group, other sector and thematic groups, as well as with operational and other departments in the area of digital financial technology services.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- A Master’s degree in information technology, finance or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- An extensive professional experience in digital financial technologies including decentralized applications, blockchain, artificial intelligence, cryptographic and machine learning. The expert should have (i) proven ability to discover customer needs and to design sustainable, holistic solutions that carefully considers the interactions between people, process and technology; (ii) demonstrated experience in development and new technology disruptions that are aimed at expanding access to finance to underserved and unbanked populations; (iii) proven ability to deliver and implement solutions using various delivery channels with extensive experience of deploying innovative mobile and agency banking solutions; (iv) documented experience in working in developing economies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.