Experts Pool: Senior Public Management Specialist (State Owned Enterprise Reforms)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the SDTC-GOV of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development). SDTC-GOV takes the lead in strategic work related to governance and public sector management (PSM) issues in ADB operations, and is an important institutional platform for knowledge sharing, cross-departmental coordination, peer review, learning, and links to external networks and partners. The Group is the in-house network of experts on governance, public financial management, anticorruption, public sector management, e-governance, and institutional and capacity development. It plays a crucial role in promoting governance issues in ADB’s operations and in delivering quality operations and innovative solutions in PSM in ADB’s developing member countries.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, and contribution to knowledge products and mission support. He/She is also expected to manage the skills development program on SOE reforms and corporate governance. The incumbent will report to Chief of Governance Thematic Group, and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
- Provide strategic and operational support to the Governance Thematic Group in its role as focal point on knowledge sharing and skills development on SOE reforms in ADB.
- Provide advice and strategic operational support to Operations Departments in processing programs on SOE reforms, including (i) integration of sector governance and regulation considerations into infrastructure project/program proposals, especially with regards to crucial aspects of financial sustainability; (ii) facilitating a more prominent role of corporate governance upgrades and reforms within the scope of ADB’s SOE engagement; (iii) integration of high-level technology, as possible; and (iv) assessing how sovereign and non-sovereign lending can be better integrated in ADB’s SOE reform work.
- Provide guidance to loan processing teams on instituting corporate level reforms in SOEs in the areas of (i) internal risk management; (ii) board oversight on risk management; (iii) audit and accounting reforms; and (iv) corporate governance and internal controls etc.
- Provide guidance to loan processing teams on SOE reform actions to support a project or program modality where release of funds is contingent on reforms.
- Integrate reform actions with findings of existing diagnostic tools such as Financial Management Assessment (FMA) and governance due diligence processes existing within ADB loan processing guidelines.
- Provide strategic advice and support to the Governance Thematic Group in its interactions with relevant internal and external clients in ADB and DMC governments in relation to good practices on SOE reforms and corporate governance.
- Conduct knowledge sharing events for ADB staff, DMC governments, and other stakeholders on best practices and practical approaches in SOE reforms and corporate governance.
- Lead the design and launch of a skills development program on SOE reforms and corporate governance for staff and relevant DMC government officials.
- Lead the design of a searchable database that will serve to provide updated information on ADB’s operations in SOE reforms and corporate governance.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Economics, Public Administration, Public Finance, Public Policy, Institutional Development, or Organizational Development or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- An extensive professional experience in lead roles in design and implementation of SOE reforms in DMCs, including integrating SOE reforms and institutional development within wider public sector reforms.
- Significant practical international experience in reforms of public sector financial management system, and/or public sector governance, and/or public sector service delivery and capacity building, including corporate governance.
- Experience in searching, accessing, packaging, and sharing relevant knowledge on SOE reforms to the broader ADB community and DMCs.
- Able to act as a mission/team leader, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Chief of Governance Thematic Group.
- Experience in design of a database preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.