Experts Pool: Senior Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist (Agribusiness)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Agriculture, Rural Development and Food Security Unit within the Thematic Advisory Service Cluster (SDCC-AR) of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge.
The Senior Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist (Agriculture) will support scaling up of private sector operations in the agribusiness sector by supporting (i) the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD) and Office of Risk Management (ORM) in identifying, screening, undertaking due diligence including risk assessment, and processing of direct debt financing, equity investments and technical assistance programs in the agribusiness sector and (ii) Regional Departments in identifying and addressing policy, regulatory, and institutional issues that need to be addressed to improve the enabling environment for increased private sector investments in the agribusiness sector, including in state-owned enterprises (SOE).
The incumbent will report to the Chief of Rural Development and Food Security (Agriculture) Thematic Group and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
- Assist in pipeline development, identification, development, and processing of transactions in the agribusiness sector to be considered for ADB private sector investment, including due consideration for development impact and robust financial profile
- Undertake comprehensive due diligence (technical, commercial, legal, regulatory, financial, institutional, governance, managerial, safeguards, and fiduciary) on proposed private sector investments in the agribusiness sector
- Act as an independent technical expert and advise PSOD and ORM on the key transaction risks and the risk management structure
- Advise PSOD and ORM on technical and operational aspects of borrowers and investee companies including an assessment of the company’s products and technologies, production facilities, supply chain arrangements, management, management systems, etc.
- Potentially act as project team leader for technical assistance and smaller investment transactions, under the supervision of PSOD
- Contribute to the enabling environment for increased private sector investments through support in policy dialogue, consultation with stakeholders, and designing projects and technical assistance in the agribusiness sector, including preparing SOEs for commercial financing
- Support SOE financing by assessing value of the entity, quality of investment program, existing debt structure, strength of income stream, suitability of tariff regime, asset profile as security package, and level of institutional capacity
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in food and agriculture sciences, finance, business administration, economics or related fields or University degree combined with specialized experience in similar organizations may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- An extensive relevant professional experience in agribusiness companies in operations, strategy, finance, or related fields in Asia. Additional experience in corporate lending, investment banking or private equity in the agribusiness sector would be a bonus
- Excellent financial modelling, equity valuation, corporate and project finance, and other core banking, investment, and risk management skills
- Extensive knowledge and experience in developing private sector projects in the agribusiness sector
- Familiarity with legal documentation for typical banking and private equity transactions
- International experience working in several countries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.