Experts Pool: Senior Urban Specialist (Smart Cities)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Sector Group secretariat of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Urban Sector Group and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
Specifically, the Senior Urban Specialist (Smart Cities) will assist in developing and implementing the Digital Solutions strategic area of ADB in line with draft Strategy 2030. She/he will support ADB staff and cities in developing member countries (DMCs) by providing advanced technical expertise on smart city systems including, among others, digital solutions; information, communication and technology (ICT); internet of things (IoT)-based systems; data analytics; etc. She/he will then identify, develop, and implement applications of such smart cities solutions through pilots, demonstration projects, drawing lessons and good practices, and scaling up successful solutions. She/he will also support ADB staff and cities by providing project management expertise related to implementing such digital solutions.
(i) Develop Strategy for Digital Solutions for Smart Cities: works closely with operations departments and cities to develop digital strategy looking into smart systems required for delivery of services, institutional development (governance), and financial management. She/he will work closely with cities in preparing the strategy, which will comply with cities’ existing policies and standards while mainstreaming digital solutions. She/he will also design the systems for procurement and contract management, and for sustainability of digital solutions including long-term maintenance and operations;
(ii) Implement Strategy for Digital Solutions for Smart Cities: supports the operations departments and cities in implementing the strategy. She/he will be involved in designing the solution architecture using latest digital technologies and technical specifications, business models, procurement documents (including evaluation criteria), and carrying out procurement process for engaging service providers to deliver the solutions in accordance with ADB procedures. She/he will supervise and monitor service providers to get the solutions implemented;
(iii) Sensors and Communications: works with other experts to support cities to evaluate, design, and implement cost effective and reliable data communications networks and sensors that enables seamless execution of smart city solutions;
(iv) Data Management Systems: supports cities to develop data management techniques, data structures, and develop appropriate database systems, data analytics solutions including autonomous data-based decision-making processes in city management and service delivery;
(v) Cyber security practices: works with other experts to support cities to develop and implement state-of-the-art cyber security practices, and information security standards in designing and implementing smart city solutions; and
(vi) Partnerships and Capacity Building: supports cities to collaborate with research Institutes, universities, and private sector for building partnerships. The Expert will develop and implement capacity development initiatives for ADB staff and cities.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science and a Master’s degree in Management, Business Administration, Computer Applications, ICT or related fields, or its equivalent. Additional relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- An extensive relevant international experience in developing and implementing programs of digital solutions for smart cities, preferably in Asia and the Pacific.
- Experience in developing and implementing applications for new technologies including IoT-based systems, data analytics, and other innovative and smart urban projects.
- Experience in successfully engaging in development of smart city plans; leading and implementation of such smart cities plans.
- Demonstrated expertise to utilize and share relevant knowledge and provide advisory support to ADB and city governments on various digital solutions, technological interventions and best practices.
- Demonstrated general understanding of sensors and communications and issues related to cyber security.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a mission/team leader, exercising supervision, coordination and planning responsibilities over the assigned team.
- Expertise to contribute to high‐level dialogue on smart cities and digital solutions.
- Experience to provide advice in the processing of investment loan and grants, and their implementation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5.
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed-term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.