Experts Pool: Senior Social Development Specialist (Elderly Care)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Thematic Advisory Service Cluster of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development). This position will work with the Social Development Thematic Group.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to help develop a portfolio of projects and technical assistance on long-term care and provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contributing to knowledge products and mission support. The incumbent will report to Chief of the Social Development Thematic Group, and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
Elderly Care (EC) is an emerging area in ADBs portfolio and it is expected that as the region rapidly ages, the need to develop systems and services to support delivery of long-term care, promote healthy and active aging, support aging in place and deinstitutionalization will grow. This position is designed to help support the development of EC (i) related pipelines in DMCs and (ii) in the knowledge and skills of ADB staff.
- Help to develop strategies for ADB to invest in elderly care sector primarily focusing on developing long-term care systems and services that are responsive to DMC needs (including availability, accessibility, equity and continuity) but also addressing the EC system capacity (including appropriateness, safety, efficiency, effectiveness and alignment) of the respective countries.
- Provide technical support for the development of EC projects. Work closely with regional department teams to support policy dialogue, technical assistance, program development and implementation. Ensure that approaches address access, availability and equity of services as well as contribute to developing services continuum (i.e., health, elderly care, housing, etc.) Improve staff and DMC capacity and the quality of design and implementation by assisting 2-4 projects per year.
- Help develop ADB's technical capacity across all sectors to adapt to population aging (e.g. health, education, social protection, urban development, public financial management, transport, private sector, PPP). Work with sector teams to analyze their strategies, portfolios and priorities and develop strategies to address impacts of population aging.
- Lead the development knowledge products.
- Improve staff and DMC capacity and the quality of design and implementation by assisting 2-4 projects per year.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- At least a Master’s degree in gerontology, health or social development fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- An extensive professional experience working on aged care policies, program or project design and implementation.
- At least some practical experience in design or operations of home, day or community based care, or in residential care
- Experience in EC systems development (e.g., standards, quality management, monitoring, human resources development)
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge in emerging areas such as dementia care
- Knowledge of aged care policies in Asia and the Pacific
- Experience in working on EC in developing countries and particularly in Asia and the Pacific
- Willingness to innovate, pilot and explore possibilities in services, systems and technology. Sufficient knowledge of global and regional good practices to facilitate innovation, sharing and leapfrogging of experience and approaches, and integrating new technology and systems development across the region
- Ability to see and make connections quickly, communicate effectively with different audiences and identify technical needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.