Experts Pool: Senior Energy Specialist (Gas)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the SDSC-ENE Division of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development).
Important Note: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Established in 2016, the Experts Pool initiative aims at nurturing ADB with cutting edge knowledge in key priority areas, by bringing in experts equipped with such knowledge. The selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Energy Sector Group and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
- Contributing to ADB’s energy sector quality-at-entry and innovations, focusing on natural gas power systems and related technologies (transmission, distribution etc.)
- Supporting Operations Departments (ODs) for project development and processing of lending and non-lending operations
- Contributing to the project formulation and implementation for regional cooperation and integration in the energy sector
- Conducting and sharing knowledge work in advanced technologies/solutions
- Acting as a mentor to more junior team members, providing guidance on projects and processing of loans/technical assistance
- Working within general policies, principles and goals
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering, thermal engineering or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- An extensive professional experience in gas power systems and related gas industry at senior technical levels
- Internationally proven top-notch technical expertise leading the relevant industry and able to apply gas technologies in developing countries
- Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community and DMCs
- Able to act as a mission/team leader, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Director or a more senior team leader
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
The selected candidate is appointed for a fixed term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.