Head of Strategy & Planning
Head of Strategy & Planning
UKRI - NERC Head Office Swindon
£48,000 to £50,000 depending on skills and experience
Full Time (Part time and flexible working will be considered)
The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
NERC is the largest funder of environmental science in the UK. We invest £300 million each year in research, training and innovation through UK universities and research centres. Our scientists study and monitor the whole planet from pole to pole, from deep Earth and oceans to upper atmosphere and space.
About the role
This is an important role and an exciting time. In creating new strategies and spending plans you will survey the wider landscape and help shape the future direction of environmental science. You will influence the development of NERC, as part of the new UKRI organisation, through this time of change and upcoming government spending reviews. You will work with senior leaders to clearly articulate and promote NERC’s identity, dual role and contribution:
- As the leading commissioner of environmental science in UKRI (NERC directly allocated budgets)
- As a leader and contributor to the planning, prioritisation and delivery of UKRI-wide objectives (UKRI collective budgets)
Primary tasks include
To lead, plan, coordinate, develop and champion the following as required:
- Strategic narratives, plans and priorities – e.g. NERC content in UKRI Strategy; NERC strategy and Delivery Plan
- NERC and UKRI strategic plans and priorities for Government Spending Reviews
- NERC and UKRI inputs to government reviews of UKRI and the wider publicly-funded research and innovation system – past examples include Nurse Review, Dowling Review, Stern Review, Modern Industrial Strategy
- NERC Head Office Plan – to identify and monitor business-critical delivery actions
- Best practice in strategic planning and horizon scanning
- Effective dialogue with stakeholders
- Play an active leadership role in the NERC Corporate Affairs directorate, wider NERC and UKRI as required.
It is essential that you are able to survey the wider UK and international landscape, to visualise your own organisation’s strategic roles and develop supporting arguments.
You will be able to deliver best practice in corporate strategic planning in complex environments, from visionary strategies to delivery planning and monitoring.
You must be confident and resilient; able to anticipate and respond quickly to external events; balance corporate, team and individual priorities and leadership styles; work proactively with minimal supervision; motivate cross-organisation project teams in the context of change.
What we offer
We offer a defined benefit occupational pension scheme, a generous annual leave allowance of 30 days plus 10.5 days bank and other holidays and flexible working hours.
How to Apply
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
Please note that applications submitted without a covering letter, or which fail to address most of the criteria, may not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 1st July 2018 with interviews scheduled for 24th July 2018.