My client has been manufacturing their quality product for over 75 years and their history can be traced back to late 1930’s. They focus on maintaining the highest standards and quality possible for an extensive customer base. In 1991, the business was purchased by a major player in the European FMCG marketplace, supplying both UK and European markets with an extensive range of goods from its many manufacturing sites across Europe.
The UK division is a profitable ‘own label’ ambient food manufacturing business with a turnover circa £50m, they are currently recruiting a UK Managing Director who will be on successful completion of a probationary period report to the Group CEO and will have full P&L responsibility for the South Wales site. The ideal candidate will be commercially oriented, with a strong track-record in management whilst displaying the ability to drive operational excellence and growth throughout the business.
The Managing Director will have a hands on approach with the tenacity to achieve results. The MD will be responsible for spearheading a significant contribution to the organisation’s business objectives and corporate strategy which will seek to improve profitability and contribute to the growth plans expected over the next several years.
The Managing Director will be responsible for the following duties within the role:
- Fully accountable for all aspects of managing safe and profitable site with a specific focus on driving performance, developing people and building a culture of continuous improvement & profitability
- Lead the Senior Management Team in continuous improvement projects
- Provide leadership, direction and guidance for all business activities
- Analysing and evaluating the effectiveness of the organisation’s operations and people
- Lead and/or consult during deal negotiations and company expansions/mergers and acquisitions
- Responsible for delivering a solid company performance plan
- Drive a proactive and inspirational approach to sales and obtaining new orders
- Engaged with all levels of the business
The Managing Director must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Extensive experience in the food manufacturing sector, preferably with both blue-chip businesses and smaller private organisations; a mix of branded and ‘private label’ product management
- Entrepreneurial in outlook, commercially astute with a history of delivering profitable growth
- Demonstrate solid previous business relationships with major retailers, food services and wholesalers in the UK & Europe; export experience is desirable.
- A strong commercial background with a track record of Profit & Loss responsibility and of growing top and bottom line performance.
- A strong track record of leading and achieving Operational Excellence and Continuous Improvement.
- A charismatic leader who clearly demonstrates an interest in product, their key ingredients and the manufacturing process. Loyal and committed, able to commit to the next 5 or 10 years.
- Exceptional skills in communication, motivation, and interpersonal relations, and able to convey a message that is understandable and relevant, linking business issues, financial results and strategy.
- Experience of operating at the highest level of professionalism and personal integrity
- You will be based within an easy commute of the UK head office in South Wales.
- A willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- A working knowledge of French would be a bonus.