Group Treasury Accountant
- National Express Group plc is a FTSE250 multinational public transport company
- Group treasury accounting position
About Our Client
National Express Group is a leading public transport operator with bus, coach and rail services in the UK, Continental Europe, North Africa, North America and the Middle East. Passengers made 882 million journeys on their services in 2017, with the group posting revenues of £2.3bn.
National Express operates transportation services in eight countries (UK, USA, Canada, Spain, Morocco, Switzerland, Germany and Bahrain) with some international coach services to other European countries. They hold the largest market share for long haul coach transport in both Spain and the UK, and are the second largest school bus provider in North America. They also operate urban bus and transit operations in the USA, Canada, Morocco, Spain and the UK.
- Required to maintain a complete understanding of all of the Group's treasury transactions and balances, in particular its long term debt arrangements, financing costs and derivative hedging instruments - commodities (fuel), interest and foreign exchange.
- Required to accurately account for these transactions and to be fluent with the Group's treasury systems (Reval in particular, and also City Financials). The candidate will also need to have thorough knowledge of applicable International Financial Reporting Standards, including IFRS 9.
- Regular testing of hedge effectiveness is fundamental to the role, as is the need to collaborate with front office and provide timely advice on the accounting impacts of new instruments proposed.
- Required to communicate effectively with divisional finance staff on treasury accounting matters and to provide expertise. Also required to work effectively with the external auditors.
- Responsible for monthly accounting and reporting of the Group's financing costs, as well as forecasting costs for the annual budget and three-year strategic plan. Also responsible for monthly and year end management of a subsidiary company that holds the Group's fuel hedging contracts.
- Responsible for all of the disclosures in the Group's Annual Report relating to financial instruments. For the December 2018 Annual Report, will need to research and apply for the first time the latest financial instrument disclosures as per IFRS 7 & 9.
- Responsible for managing one member of staff who provides administrative support to the role.
The Successful Applicant:
- Post-qualification experience in a group accounting environment, with emphasis on accounting for treasury-related items such as long term debt, financing costs and hedging instruments.
- Solid technical knowledge of IFRS, in particular IFRS 9. Holding the AMCT qualification is also desired.
- Strong IT skills; Strong excel skills are necessary, along with accounting systems experience. Experience of Reval and City Financials (or equivalent systems) would be particularly advantageous.
- Able to communicate effectively with senior finance staff and external auditors. Must be able to interpret and explain complex treasury matters in a clear and concise manner.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, with excellent attention to detail, and an efficient working style.
What's on Offer
The basic salary on offer is up to £65,000 plus a competitive benefits package.
Ref Code: MPFE13922092Z