Principal / Senior Investment Officer - Infrastructure Africa
Principal / Senior Investment Officer, Infrastructure Africa
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal; Nairobi, Kenya or Johannesburg, South Africa
Background / General Description
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing economies around the world. In FY17, we delivered a record $19.3 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help end poverty and boost shared prosperity.
As part of our commitment to creating a dynamic, creative and diverse working environment, we have launched a recruitment drive aimed to attract nationals of Sub-Saharan and Caribbean countries.
IFC is seeking to recruit Principal / Senior Investment Officer(s) for its Infrastructure Group in the Africa region. This group is responsible for sourcing and executing investment transactions in power, transport, and utilities, with an increasing focus on Fragile and Conflict States and upstream and creating markets engagements, including project development.
Principal / Senior Investment Officers are the project leaders of multidisciplinary teams and professionals who have expertise in the regions or sectors in which IFC does business. Project teams consist of lawyers, environmental and social specialists, and economists, as well as technical specialists. Senior / Principal Investment Officers work directly with their clients and international and local sponsors on complex projects, with the overall goal of maximizing the impact of IFC's interventions in the Infrastructure sector in Africa by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments for IFC.
The position(s) will based in Dakar, Senegal; Nairobi, Kenya or Johannesbourg, South Africa. Regional travel will be required.
Duties and Accountabilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in upstream initiatives with a view to enabling environment and creating new markets for private sector investment in the infrastructure sector in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Collaborate in developing sector and/or regional strategies and support related promotion work, including targeting potential investments and policy advisory work;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities;
- Develop a healthy pipeline of good quality investment opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge;
- Execute IFC's project development investments, with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects;
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.;
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions;
- Lead negotiation/documentation teams; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions;
- Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff; and
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients' businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- MBA or equivalent qualification;
- Extensive experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments in infrastructure sectors;
- Knowledge of overall industry sector trends, experience in emerging markets a plus;
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively;
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners;
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity);
- Project development and / or upstream / advisory experience desirable;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English required, fluency in French and / or Portuguese a plus;
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to mentor junior investment staff;
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards; and
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
For further details and to apply, please visit the microsite.
Search for req110.
Closing date for applications: June 18 2018.