7 days left
We have an exciting opportunity for a Strategic Economist, based in the north of England, to lead the economic research and analysis requirements across YBS Group and to act as a key external spokesperson supporting the Group’s public profile and reputation.
Reporting to the Chief Strategy and Digital Officer, you will join the Strategy and Digital team based at our offices in the centre of Leeds. As an expert in your field you will lead the economic research and analysis requirements across YBS Group. You will act as a key external spokesperson in relation to your areas of expertise, to support the Group’s public profile and reputation.
A key aspect of the role is to develop thought leadership, provocations and analytical capability in economics adjacencies, for example behavioural economics, decision theory and competition economics.
What you'll be doing:
- As part of the Strategy and Digital Function, you’ll lead the effective economic research and analysis activity for the Group, including:
- Economic forecasts to inform the strategic direction of the Group
- Economic scenario planning to support the development of the Corporate Plan
- Stress tests for use in regulatory processes and financial provisioning purposes
- Delivering specific economic research, analysis and stimulus to support and develop the Group’s strategy and campaigns, including detailed analysis of the housing and savings markets
- Building a positive reputation for the Group through the development of messages and commentary in response to economic and public policy issues
- Acting as a key public spokesperson for the Group on areas of expertise, including with the media and business forums
The Knowledge & Skills you’ll have:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent within a relevant area of study.
- Master’s Degree in Economics is desirable.
- Experience of managing economic research activity within the Financial Services sector desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written and the ability to influence senior stakeholders.
- Experience of identifying and responding to media opportunities, providing relevant comment and interviews, and/or public speaking desirable.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, quality assurance and risk management.
- Knowledge of relevant software and systems.
- Knowledge of balance sheet and market risk.
- Effective relationship management skills.
- Professional ability to work independently, under tight deadlines and make effective decisions.
Rewards and benefits:
Not only do we provide the opportunity to make a valuable contribution to our business, we recognise and reward that contribution through an excellent benefits package that offers:
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Private Medical Insurance
- Cash bonus scheme
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Money Purchase Pension scheme to which we contribute
- Staff Mortgage facility and Staff Savings Account
Why choose the YBS Group?
No matter where you join us, you can be sure of professional, fun and supportive people to work with. We believe this is at the centre of what makes Yorkshire Building Society Group such a great place to be.
Our vision is to be the most trusted provider of Financial Services in the UK. We strive to achieve this by delivering financial security and long-term value to our members along with exceptional service.
Our values are embedded into every aspect of life here. Even during our recruitment process, you can be assured that you’ll be treated in the same manner and go through the same steps as other applicants.
Yorkshire Building Society Group is an equal opportunities employer.
Please note the internal title for the position is Group Economist.