Director General Statistics
The ECB is seeking applicants for the position of Director General of its Directorate General Statistics.
We develop, collect, compile and disseminate data, master data, statistics, statistical indicators and metadata. It provides user support services to the ECB and its banking supervision arm, as well as for other ECB and European System of Central Banks (ESCB) tasks, and to the European Systemic Risk Board.
We have more than 200 staff members organised across seven business units. We are currently working to improve our capacity to provide high-quality statistics by making ourselves more service oriented, providing new (especially granular) data, strengthening our focus on data integration and increasing the efficiency of our data production processes.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage you to apply if you are a woman.
As Director General Statistics you will:
- Lead the business area and its management team in pursuing the Directorate General’s strategic objectives, including leading the management team, defining the overall strategy, medium-term planning, budgeting, resource allocation, establishing work programmes and regularly reviewing the progress of work;
- Steer the preparation of statistical dossiers for the ESCB Statistics Committee and the ECB’s Executive Board and Governing Council, and projects aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the production of statistics;
- Support the ECB and ECB Banking Supervision decision-making bodies by ensuring the Directorate General provides high-quality advice on data-related issues;
- Represent the bank by participating in and chairing a wide range of internal and external committees, working groups and high-level fora, and maintaining a network of contacts within the worldwide central banking and international data community;
- Foster a constructive and trustful working atmosphere and make a positive contribution to a diverse and fulfilling environment in which all colleagues remain motivated, competent and committed to achieving established goals;
- Contribute to the strategic direction of your business area and the ECB by actively engaging with the wider ECB senior management team and fostering interaction and collaboration across business areas.
You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A master’s degree in statistics, economics, finance, business administration, mathematics, computer science, engineering or another relevant field, or a bachelor’s degree in one of these fields combined with some relevant professional experience in these areas;
- A strong relevant professional experience in areas in which the Directorate General operates, or in related areas this includes banking supervision data, financial market data, analytical credit data, monetary and economic statistics, data integration, external statistics and sector accounts, and statistical applications and tools;
- Significant experience in leading and developing a team of highly qualified managers and staff from diverse backgrounds;
- Experience chairing meetings with participants from different countries and organisations, excellent presentation skills and an ability to represent the ECB in high-level international fora;
- An advanced command of English and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
- A good knowledge of the working methods of the Eurosystem, ESCB and other relevant European and international policy fora.
You build relationships throughout the organisation and beyond. You emphasise the overarching mission and common objectives to achieve the best outcome for the organisation. You strive to achieve goals. You define the strategic outlook for your own business area. You build diverse teams and foster an environment of creativity and innovation. You endeavour to strengthen your teams’ capability, encouraging dedication and engagement.
The recruitment process for this position may include a video conference interview at the screening stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise, a presentation and interviews. The process will also include an assessment of your leadership competencies by an external provider.
Application and Selection Process
Find more information under “How you can join us” on our website.
For more information on how to apply, please click the apply button.