Severfield plc is the leading United Kingdom-based specialist structural steelwork company. As part of Severfield plc, Severfield (Design & Build) Limited is engaged in the design, fabrication and construction of structural steelwork, specialist claddings and ancillary products. The Company is the principal design and build steelwork contractor for distribution warehouses and low rise structures in the UK and is based in Sherburn, near Scarborough in North Yorkshire.
In 2016, the Severfield plc management team set out their key strategic target, to double profit before tax to £26m by 2020. The Group has also continued to strengthen its balance sheet and invest in market-leading technology and equipment, increasing operational productivity and quality.
The year ended 31 March 2017 was an excellent year for the Severfield Group with benefits coming from strong and good quality order inflow as well as continued improvements in operational performance. Underlying profit before tax was up 50 per cent to £20m and revenue increased by 10 per cent to £262m. This performance also converted into cash, with operating cash conversion of 112%, resulting in net funds at the 2017 year-end of £33m.
The Role - Finance Director
Reporting to the Managing Director, the role would ideally suit a qualified accountant with strong technical and analytical skills, together with experience of working within a group environment (construction and / or manufacturing experience is desired but not essential). The ideal candidate will also be able to demonstrate that they are a progressive thinker who can contribute to the strategic direction of the business and drive improvements in the Company's reporting processes and internal control procedures.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Form a close working relationship with the Manging Director, other members of the Company's board of directors and Group management (particularly Group finance).
- Take overall control of the Company's accounting function, to optimise the company's financial performance and strategic position.
- Contribute fully to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers.
- Preparation of financial reports, presentations and commentary explaining performance against budgets and forecasts (and presentation of such information at local monthly board meetings).
- Responsibility for monthly management accounts and annual published IFRS statutory financial statements.
- Responsibility for budget and forecast processes including:
- Monthly cash forecasting and reporting;
- Quarterly profit forecasting; and
- Annual budget including setting of departmental budgets and ongoing monitoring of costs.
- Improve the quality of the financial information, drive systems development and develop procedures to improve the quality of information available.
- Responsible for ad hoc financial and other systems development projects as required by the board of directors and Group finance.
- Liaise with auditors, bankers and other external advisors.
- Company secretarial duties.
- Stature, good personal presence, drive and the highest integrity. You will have demonstrable pace, drive and an energetic style.
- A practical 'hands-on' approach coupled with an eye for detail, and the commercial acumen to play a full part in supporting the growth of the business.
- An excellent communicator, with the confidence and credibility to support board / commercial colleagues, with the resolve, resilience and ability to deliver results.
- A creative thinker and a team player, able to multi task and react to changing commercial priorities.