Director of Investment and Corporate Services
The West of England is one of the UK’s most prosperous regions with an economy worth over £31 billion a year. A net contributor to the national purse, with a population of over 1 million and over 43,000 businesses, our region competes on a global scale
In 2016, three of the councils in the West of England signed a devolution deal worth £1 billion. As a result, significant powers and funding have been transferred to the region through the new West of England Combined Authority and West of England Mayor.
Economic growth that benefits every resident is at the core of the vision for the West of England. We want local people to benefit from more job opportunities, a stronger economy and a high quality of life.
Purpose of the job
To lead on strategic planning and management of investment and the provision of Corporate Services including Finance, HR and Procurement for the West of England Combined Authority, advising the Mayor and West of England Combined Authority on new powers and responsibilities.
To act as the Statutory Section 151 Officer for the West of England Combined Authority
To ensure strategic financial leadership and governance on all major projects and plans led by the West of England Combined Authority.
- Leading and developing the new West of England Investment and Corporate Services function, to deliver an ongoing programme of work that will implement the functions agreed in the devolution deal and securing additional funding for the region.
- Leading and developing future financial requirements and support to ensure the successful delivery of the Joint and Mayoral Spatial Plans.
- Overseeing the delivery of the Corporate Services and Investment functions on behalf of the West of England Combined Authority
- Act as the Section 151 statutory post holder assuring that the West of England Combined Authority operates within the Financial Regulations and to the highest standards
- Work closely with the Local Authorities to define the approach for future investment
- Building strong partnerships with the West of England Local Authorities and other key partners, to support the development of the West of England plans and ambitions for the region
- Ensuring that financial objectives within area of responsibility are achieved and secure value for money
- Addressing and reporting adverse variances as appropriate
- Ensuring commitment of partners to ongoing funded activity
- Securing and reporting on new funding streams as and when appropriate opportunities emerge.
- Managing staff development in the core team.
- Recruiting new staff as appropriate
- Managing any day to day staffing issues.
Ensuring that policies and processes are agreed and implemented to support delivery and that all legal and statutory obligations are met in relation to the provision of transport and planning functions.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Degree level or equivalent standard of general education
- CCAB Accounting qualification
- Extensive understanding of public sector finance, national policies and professional good practice.
- Knowledge of local authority financial regulations
- Significant knowledge of Public Sector Funding sources, finance procedures and Budget management
- Demonstrable experience of key local government politics, political structures and culture
- Recent experience at senior level and proven achievement over at least 3 years at senior management level within a Local Authority or an organisation of comparable scope and complexity
- Experience and a proven track record in the formulation and delivery of strategies and polices in a Local Authority or public sector organisation of comparable scope and complexity
- Experience and demonstrable success in the management and delivery of strategic change and of securing the support of others in the process
- A demonstrable track record of leading and managing teams and delivering outcomes that require collaborative approaches both within the organisation and with external partners.
- A successful track record of engaging effectively with others at a senior level and building productive partnerships with key stakeholders
- Experience of working in a political environment, understanding the role of officers in advising members
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to balance logical and analytical approach to decision making whilst bringing innovative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills to command the confidence of colleagues, elected Members and external partners
- Demonstrable track record of leading and inspiring teams, motivating staff and developing a positive organisational culture