Director - Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI)
Director - Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI)
Vacancy Announcement Number 1613
Date of Issue 27/04/2018
Deadline for Applications 27/05/2018
Organizational Unit Sust. Prd. Mkts. & Instit.
Duty Station Rome
Duration of Assignment 2 years
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD's strategic direction, thematic priorities and technical quality of IFAD’s operations. It plays a critical role in providing technical expertise to operational teams to enhance development effectiveness, by generating and disseminating IFAD’s development knowledge and evidence on strategic themes, and encouraging innovative application of cutting-edge global knowledge and evidence in IFAD investments to support countries tackle their most complex development challenges in fostering inclusive and sustainable rural transformation. SKD is composed of the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
PMI provides technical support to the design, supervision and completion reporting of IFAD’s Programme of Loans and Grants to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in in key thematic areas, including food production systems, land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and institutions and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of evidence and knowledge on these themes, and facilitates their use in IFAD projects and activities.
Within IFAD, the Director PMI provides authoritative advice to senior management on PMI’s vision, strategic planning, policy, and divisional programme and operational management. He/She is accountable for collaboration and coordination within the Fund to ensure appropriate consultation, cross-functional synergy and coordination of programme planning and activities. Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Associate Vice-President, SKD, the Director, PMI will lead, manage and oversee a technical team of internationally recruited Technical Specialists and nationally recruited Technical Support Officers. These technical staff facilitate knowledge flows, build communities of practice and provide technical support to regional divisions and Senior Management. The Director is part of IFAD’s senior management team and is responsible for the successful and efficient delivery of the division’s programme of work and associated results within the allocated time and budget.
The main focus of this position is strategic leadership, innovation and results-based management. The accountabilities/key results include:
- Vision & Strategy
- Policy Development & Advice
- Programme Management
- Management of Resources
Key results expected / Major functional activities
Vision & Strategy: The Director PMI develops and promotes a strategic vision for translating IFAD’s corporate and departmental mandates, strategies, goals and objectives into a divisional programme of work and for ensuring evolving divisional programme activities are integrated in the evolution of departmental goals and objectives. He/She participates in the design of IFAD's and departmental strategic approaches and ensures that corporate strategies are fully integrated in the design of assigned activities. The incumbent sets and communicates clear strategic and operational objectives and is held accountable for the division being seen as a credible and trusted partner in managing for results and as an innovator in its field.
In particular, the Director provides and communicates a vision and strategy for incorporating technical knowledge into IFAD operations, and for developing related knowledge products.
Policy Development & Advice: The Director PMI provides leadership in the development and interpretation of major policies, regulations and rules, and systems that govern the work of a division and ensure they support divisional goals and objectives within the overall Fund mandates and strategies. He/She also serves as a trusted business/programme advisors with a significant role in authoritative policy advice within the Fund at the senior management level as well as in policy dialogue in their representational activities.
In particular, the Director provides leadership in the development of the major policy, regulations and rules that facilitate the incorporation of cutting-edge technical advice into operations, and leads PMI in providing the technical advice on key thematic areas to IFAD Senior Management and regional division.
Programme Management: The Director provides leadership in (a) all phases of the division’s medium-term planning and management, including operational requirements such as (i) establishing annual work plans, (ii) ensuring regular programme assessment and (iii) identifying opportunities for innovation and implementation of best practices generated within the Fund as well as in peer organizations, both private and public; (b) reviewing and innovating core processes of the division in order to achieve better efficiency and effectiveness, as well as financial sustainability, of operations; (c) enhancing synergy among divisional staff and holding staff accountable for results and (d) ensuring the preparation of all divisional publications, reports and governing bodies documents.
In particular, the Director plans and manages PMI’s programme of activities in order to ensure cutting-edge technical advice is adequately integrated into projects, and knowledge products in key thematic areas are developed to support this advice. S/he takes the lead in the Fund’s learning, networking and innovation related to the key thematic areas and disseminates focused information in terms of practical learning guidelines decision tools, quality standards, guidance notes and policy briefs for both IFAD and partners.
Management of Resources: The Director PMI is accountable for integrity, transparency, and equity in the management of IFAD resources (human, financial and material).
- People Management through workforce planning, recruitment, performance management, learning and career management of P and GS staff by taking into account that regionally mapped technical teams have dual reporting lines, to PMI and to regional division.
- Identifies best qualified candidates for vacancies, with appropriate regard for gender balance and geographic distribution
- Motivates, coaches and supports staff of the division, wherever they are located, to create cohesive teams that work effectively to achieve common divisional goals and objectives
- Manages staff performance and development through regular performance feedback, mentoring and career planning
- Divisional Budget Management by leading divisional strategic and data inputs into the departmental budget preparation exercises and by ensuring accountability and fiduciary integrity in the Division’s budget execution
- Material Resources Management through accountability for the material resources assigned to the Division
- Knowledge and Content Management to achieve innovative outcomes and cost effective processes as well as to promote the generation, validation and dissemination of knowledge by ensuring (a) knowledge content is continuously updated and available, (b) best practices are continuously identified, documented and distributed and (c) appropriate and up-to-date information and tools are available as appropriate
- Information Technology Management through leveraging ERP functionality for improved business results, reporting processes and client services.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Within IFAD’s overall Strategic Framework and Medium Term Plan, the Director PMI establishes IFAD’s priorities for and provide leadership to PMI’s level programme and operational management activities and is accountable for a results-based approach to meeting assigned goals and objectives. Leadership activities include the optimum utilization of human, financial, technology and material resources for the achievement of greater efficiency and effectiveness. The incumbents’ impact extends beyond the successful achievement of divisional goals and objectives to include larger departmental goals and objectives in strategic planning collaboration. The expected results directly and/or indirectly benefit the ultimate stakeholders, the rural poor in developing countries.
The key performance indicators includes leadership in viable strategic planning, authoritative and relevant policy development and advice, sustainable programme decisions and integrity and accountability in the planning and management of the Fund’s human, financial and material resources assigned to the division.
In particular the Director needs to ensure:
- Cutting edge technical knowledge and innovative solutions are incorporated into IFAD operations in a manner that maximizes impact
- IFAD is viewed as a knowledge leader in these key thematic areas
Representation / Work Relationships
Externally the Director PMI develops strategic partnerships and collaborative relationships with counterparts spanning a broad range of institutions including borrowers, bilateral and multilateral development agencies, UN agencies, funds and programmes, IFIs, non-governmental organizations and academic institutions for the purpose of programme co-operation, knowledge sharing, policy dialogue and/or resource mobilization. He/She is also accountable for the provision of authoritative advice during Executive Board sessions, the annual Governing Council and related subordinate bodies including the audit and evaluation committees.
He/She represents the Fund in official United Nations committees and networks, and in international financial institution, multilateral and bilateral meetings, symposia, fora and conferences upon request of the President, and builds organizational networks with peers in major private, public and international financial institutions.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Strategic leadership (Level 2)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change (Level 2)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates and contributes to a learning culture (Level 2)
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture (Level 2)
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact (Level 2)
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources (Level 2)
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment (Level 2)
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills (Level 2)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally (Level 2)
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages wider teams with greater impact on others and on the organization (Level 2)
- Recognized management skills in a multicultural setting, combined with ability to achieve results through motivating people and influencing partners
- Results-oriented decision-making ability with an aptitude to address operational challenges and for developing practical solutions
- Innovator with risk management ability and a proven track record as a successful agent of change
- Rigorous analytical and conceptual thinking
- High sense of integrity, trust and confidence
- Champion of IFAD’s values: respect for the individual, integrity, professionalism and focus on results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to set out a coherent analysis in presentations
- Strong diplomatic and communication skills and the ability to develop effective working relationships with clients and counterparts at the appropriate levels
- Ability to represent IFAD in international fora
Minimum Recruitment Qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in a technically relevant area.
- Extensive progressively responsible professional experience in technically related area in a multi-cultural organization or national organization providing support on a global scope
- Experience in managing large and complex programmes, in engaging with external donors and clients, and in participating in global dialogues
- Strong professional record with an international reputation in at least some of the key thematic areas (food production systems, land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, and rural institutions) is required.
- Progressively responsible supervisory / team leader experience is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making the most cost-effective use of funds and resources, we are able to respond only to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews. IFAD is committed to achieving diversity and is seeking a balanced workforce from its Member States. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.