Agriculture & Property Manager
- Responsibility for overseeing a sizeable portfolio of our key clients
- Provision of a quality and cost effective accountancy and tax focussed service
About Our Client
Ellacotts is one of the largest independent accounting and business advisory firms in the UK and is ranked as a Top 100 Accountancy Firm by Accountancy Age. We are also members of the UK200 Group, a national quality assured association of chartered accountants and lawyers, and members of the International Association of Practising Accountants, an association of international accounting firms with similar ethos and quality standards. Being part of these associations gives us the advantage of access to a depth of shared professional knowledge, resource and expertise on both a national and international platform, which is key in today's ever changing business environment.
Ellacotts has been delivering smart, tailored solutions to our clients for over fifty years.
Originally founded by Geoffrey Ellacott in 1960, we now have a substantial team of over 90 people across our Banbury, Kettering and London offices.
Over the years, we have developed niche specialisms across many sectors, building up a diverse yet loyal client base. We are proud to be one of the leading regional accountancy firms in the Midlands servicing Oxfordshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire and Hertfordshire.
Our people are our most important asset and we fully support their professional and personal development every step of the way. After all, our people are at the core of what we do.
They say that teamwork makes the dream work, and we realise that teamwork is something that helps us to deliver our services. Because of this, we host regular company-wide social events including an annual away day and a Christmas party to end the year in style. We also have monthly dress down Fridays, numerous bake sales and a Christmas jumper day.
As a firm, we care about the environment and our community. This is why we encourage our team to nominate and vote for our Charity of the Year, which we will then raise funds for through a variety of activities including our annual sporting challenge. In 2017, we organised and took on a 50-mile bikeathon between our Banbury and Kettering offices to raise funds for Make-A-Wish.
- To provide exceptional levels of service to clients on a wide variety of areas, on a cost effective & timely basis.
- Responding to client queries, and those from third parties (e.g. HMRC) in a timely manner.
- Seeking to gain experience/progress role and those of other staff by seeking to take more advanced work from partners and delegating more routine work to others, thereby aiding cost-effectiveness and adding to interest/training of all within the team.
- Developing knowledge of clients and their businesses as to become their point of contact on day-to-day matters.
- Reviewing accounts and tax returns prepared by more junior staff. Includes corporate and unincorporated clients.
- Assisting with the management of the Agriculture and Property Department to meet departmental objectives through planning. This includes completing staff appraisals, monitoring and effective delegation, utilising the skills and knowledge within the existing team and sourcing additional knowledge.
- Completing staff appraisal forms providing feedback (good and bad) and training as required.
- Seeking to identify business and tax planning opportunities, VAT issues, NIC issues, business planning points, etc. as part of the review process. Drawing to attention of partners/client as appropriate. Preparation of necessary reports/computations etc., liaising with other professional advisers as required.
- Assisting partners with specific assignments - e.g. business planning, advisory and tax matters.
- Assisting partners in controlling WIP within the section by progressing work to completion/billing point swiftly. Liaising with partners re WIP and raising bills/assisting as required.
- Monitoring progress against deadlines and ensuring these are met - e.g. company reporting, P11ds, tax returns, etc.
- Ensuring work is planned and progressed in an efficient, timely and cost effective manner by liaising with Partners and supervising staff.
The Successful Applicant
Critical Skills Required:
- Ability to review and complete accounts files quickly and efficiently
- Ability to review and complete personal tax returns quickly and efficiently
- Strong computer literacy
- Strong active listening skills
- Excellent problem resolution skills and ideas generation ability
- Strong marketing, networking and business development skills
- Pro-active management skills, resulting in high performance teams
Critical Knowledge Required:
- In depth knowledge of accounts preparation
- In depth taxation knowledge
- Solid MS Office products knowledge
- Essential: ACA or ACCA Qualification, Degree or equivalent experience
- Desirable: CTA or equivalent tax qualification
- Essential: Previous Accounts and Tax experience within a Practice environment
- Desirable: Experience at manager level within a Practice environment
- Strong presence
- Excellent communication skills
- Quickly builds rapport and trust
- Highly confidential
- Good networker
- Resilient and energetic
- Achiever and self-motivated
- Analytical - quick thinker
- Live or relocate within commuting distance of Northamptonshire
- Work outside normal hours as required
What's on Offer
Flexible Working Hours
In order to enable our staff to have a good work life balance, we are fully committed to offering flexibility in the way we all work, and currently operate flexible working hours. You can start between 08:00 and 09:30 and finish any time after 16:30. Our full time working days are 7.5 hours per day and 37.5 hours a week. There is also the possibility of working from home, if and when appropriate.
We currently offer an array of voluntary additional benefits, such as:
- Childcare Vouchers
- Employee Assistance Plan (confidential counselling and advice)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee discount vouchers portal
The benefits we offer are under regular review to ensure we provide our people with the best benefits we can.
We couldn't do what we do without our people, which is why we reward them with excellent additional perks, such as regular company socials and Firm Away Days, which will let you switch off from work and get to know your colleagues better.
We organise our own fundraising activities for our 'Charity of The Year' initiative, which consists of bake sales, sweepstakes, dress down Friday on the last Friday of the month and fun sporting events - to name but a few.
We aim to ensure that the salaries that we pay are extremely competitive. We regularly review and update our salaries using externally prepared benchmarking information.
We have auto enrolled and offer the standard employer and employee contribution from your first day. We also provide a personal pension plan (currently 5% employer's contribution) to managers from day one and to other employees once they have satisfactorily completed 1 year's service and their relevant training contract.
We provide private medical cover to employees who have satisfactorily completed 1 year's service and their relevant training contract. This is a single person policy but family can be added for a small cost. Managers receive this benefit straight away.
Medical Cash Plan
As well as private medical cover, we offer a cash plan which allows employees to claim cash back on certain medical expenses such as dental, optical and other minor claims. This is available to employees who have completed 1 year's service and their relevant training contract and to managers from day one.
You will receive 28 days holiday plus Bank Holidays during each holiday year from 1 April to 31 March. You can buy or sell up to three days each year and additional holiday can be earned through length of service up to a maximum total of 26 days.
Death in Service
From your first day, if you die while you are an employee of the Firm, a lump sum of three times your annual basic salary will be payable to your nominated beneficiary or beneficiaries.
Ref Code: MPFE13894446Z