Product Development Director
Our client helps businesses better manage their land-based assets by making use of the increasingly sophisticated but complex array of Earth Observation (EO) imagery and data available. They do this through their unique landscape intelligence platform aggregating large amounts of diverse data from satellites, airborne and ground instruments, applying relevant modelling and using mapping, measuring and monitoring techniques with best-in-class technology to provide critical decision support for their customers. The business is enjoying an extended period of growth and success and is one of the international market leaders in their field.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Development Director will drive the product roadmap for the business, establishing business needs and implementing development plans. The successful candidate will manage teams across multiple disciplines, focused on Earth Observation, Data Science and Geospatial Analytics. This development division of the business is responsible for creating new geospatial data products to support continued sales growth in markets across the world and in multiple business application verticals.
The Development Director will liaise with the CTO and business unit VPs to align the product roadmap with business development plans to ensure that new releases are marketed in a timely manner. This role will also work closely with delivery and IT divisions responsible for product deployment and the on-line platform used to deliver analyses to customers.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK and be able to commute to the office. Travel may be required from time to time.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the CTO and management team to explore new, market-disruptive business applications for Earth Observation and Geospatial Analytics services
- Oversee product development and release lifecycle to meet business plan requirements
- Gather feedback from business development managers and colleagues providing technical sales support to understand the future needs of existing clients and prospective customers
- Generate and sustain a roadmap of data product innovation to ensure that identified needs are addressed through measurable stages of development
- Lead development across technical teams to fulfil the product roadmap
- Coordinate with the IT division to ensure that releases of new data products and geospatial analytics are aligned with the iterative development of the web-portal user interface
- Ensure that the product portfolio is clearly defined, with supporting collateral that can be used to drive sales and marketing
- Work with the delivery division to oversee the smooth transition of new product releases from development to live deployment
- Maintain an overview of comparative technologies and competitor offerings in target business verticals to ensure that the company’s products and services are differentiated in the market place
- Manage development budget as agreed with CTO
- Degree educated
- Demonstrable experience in GIS and/or Earth Observation
- Strong working experience of Agile and/ or Waterfall
- Deep experience of product development and release lifecycles
- Understanding of product marketing requirements
- Knowledge of traditional and agile project management approaches
- Proven experience of managing teams across multiple technical disciplines delivering product to meet wide ranging customer needs
- An ability to nurture innovation while maintaining accountability and process
- Confident presentation of technical concepts to customers and senior managers
- Strong customer focus and good business acumen to drive the business forward
- Highly numerate and familiar with common statistical metrics
- Excellent professional communication skills, fluent in both verbal and written English
Our client is a fast growth, successful and well-respected business. This is a particularly exciting time for the business as it continues to build on its success and further develop its capabilities, services and market diversification.
The successful candidate will enjoy a stimulating and rewarding role with a genuine opportunity for career progression.