This is a strategic finance leadership role which reports into the CEO. The Finance Director will assume responsibility for leading the operational finance side of the business (budgeting, cash flow, forecasting, treasury, tax, audit etc.). In addition, you will oversee all financial, accounting system controls and standards, and ensure timely financial and statistical reports for management and/or Board use.
The purpose of the role is twofold:
- To put in place the processes, controls, systems and people as the business looks to scale significantly across international markets
- To work directly with the CEO and key stakeholders as the business plans for further expansion into key territories including China
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will also take responsibility for:
- Building and developing a high performing finance function in a 'hands on' manner to support the ability of the business to scale
- Acting as a business partner to other functions including marketing, technology, growth, product etc.
- Lead a team of 5 finance professionals to maximise the value that add to the business
- Preparation of management accounts, budgets and forecasts for the business and monitoring performance against plans
- Help to shape and manage financial controls, cash flow and providing commercial financial support and input to the business through value adding analysis and support tools
- Full responsibility for ensuring correct financial controls and processes are in place and that financial, management and statutory reporting are carried out in an efficient, accurate and timely manner
- Developing value adding management information providing detailed KPIs to management and the board to support decision making
- Providing commercial finance support to operational functions identifying areas where cost savings and efficiency improvements can be made, with a focus on managing cash flow
- Interacting and managing key external relationships including investors, auditors, bankers, insurers, and suppliers
The successful candidate will be a "hands on", pragmatic and analytical individual who can get things done in a complex, fast moving and change oriented environment. You will have a naturally inquisitive personality, be highly practical and adept at problem solving with a fierce intellectual capability.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Qualified Accountant and experienced FD in an early stage, high growth environment is preferred.
- Broad exposure to innovative online and e-commerce business models where exposure with genuine hands-on experience of operating in a highly operational environment which could include warehousing, procurement, logistics, inventory management and stock control etc.
- Presence and intellectual dexterity to advise and work alongside a highly entrepreneurial executive management team, whilst also having a sense of urgency that gets things done on a day-to-day basis.
- Entrepreneurial DNA with experience of scaling medium sized companies / divisions (ideally at the £100m revenue mark) and working with high profile investors
- Strong analytical and data / financial modelling skills
- Insightful reporting - can extrapolate and interpret numbers to really understand how the business is operating/performing
- Current (or recent) experience as a FD in a high growth marketplace environment
- It would be beneficial if the candidate brings transaction experience such as raising finance, acquisition, listing on a recognised exchange or trade sale. Ideally experience of having successfully undertaken a significant Series C/D funding round with high profile institutional investors, or working in a mid-cap PE or listed business.
- We want someone who is a great cultural fit with - characterised as high-paced, analytical, international, people oriented and fun.