Interim CTO / Head of Engineering
Interim Head of Engineering / CTO
Location: London / Southampton
Length of Engagement: 12 months
Company: Management Consultancy / Procurement
Summary: Seeking an interim Head of Engineering / Director of Development / CTO to oversee a digital incubator team of a global management consultancy in the procurement space.
Created a year ago as an incubator within the wider business, the Digital team is now 40-strong, providing application design, build, and operations to the rest of the business and the wider customer base. The company is building a suite of SaaS applications to support the services it delivers in the procurement space.
The team now requires an experienced leader to shape the next phase of development, industrialise process and service offerings, and integrate the technology back into the business while the first phase moves to product launch. Because the organisation design and product propositions are evolving, an interim CTO/Head of Engineering is required to help our client reach their optimum operating model, strengthening the current team leadership as required.
With a strong, recent and relevant engineering background the successful candidate will create the right organisational structure which will deliver a high quality well managed and maintained SaaS product set over the long term. The ideal candidate will have managed or worked alongside a well-run product management team in a software-based business and so will be able to contribute to the design and process of the product team.
This role is likely to be filled by an experienced engineer or head of engineering who has progressed recently to wider responsibilities and so has recent relevant hands-on experience in engineering discipline as well wider management and strategic oversight.
- To bring their own practical experience in developing, managing, deploying and supporting an evolving codebase to a young, relatively inexperienced team
- To contribute, to communicate and deliver the technology vision and strategy for Digital services in line with the wider business strategy
- To lead / coach technology teams and maximise their effectiveness in the delivery of the technology vision for our clients Digital services
- Collaborate with members of the firm to develop business strategy, acting as an advisor on technology, and participate in the ongoing development of the Digital business
- Support the management team in developing the Digital technical vision and strategy in line with business strategy
- Design and implement suitable and sustainable organisation structure for the software development, testing and infrastructure team
- Ultimately accountable for the design, build and operation of the Digital portfolio
- Communicate the technology strategy and development plans effectively to all members of the firm, investors, customers & prospects
- Support the product teams to create a full customer experience for Digital products/services
- Keep abreast of key technology trends and explore potential technology driven product innovation opportunities
- Develop business proposals/plans for new / enhanced products/services
- Promote strong customer service ethic throughout the technology teams and be responsible for ongoing maintenance and support
- Lead / coach the technology development teams to meet Digital strategic objectives
- Maintain and track plan against the overall product roadmap
- Support critical client deployments / implementation
Skills & Experience:
- Extensive experience within a customer facing technology product/service development environment with at least 2/3 years at a senior business management level - including financial/budgetary experience
- Strong software engineering background with proven experience in specialist areas needed (Web technology, "Cloud" services, scalable/resilient architectures, etc.)
- Experience of delivering software products and services to end-clients (i.e., not in-house), in particular in the sourcing/procurement functional area. Cross-industry experience is desirable
- Ideally experience of working managing a product-management organisation
- Experience of agile development (SCRUM) and modern development and deployment techniques (TDD, continuous integration, "DevOps", etc..) and product management in an iterative delivery environment
- Experience of 3rd party IT partner sourcing and management, inc. off-shore
- Strong business/commercial "nous" with excellent inter-personal and communication skills