WISH2ACTION Technical Lead - M&E
WISH2ACTION Technical Lead – M&E
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
Fixed term to end August 2021
The International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) is the leading global NGO in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). It is currently working in more than 170 countries in the world. The Africa Regional Office (IPPFARO) is one of IPPF’s six regional offices.
“Women’s Integrated Sexual Health” (WISH) is IPPF's new flagship health programme to transform the lives of millions of women and girls. Funded by DFID, WISH will provide integrated and holistic healthcare to 2.2m additional users of contraception across 16 countries in Africa and South Asia from 2018-2021.
Through a consortium of five internationally recognised organisations and 11 IPPF Member Associations led by IPPF, the WISH programme will provide a comprehensive, integrated approach to ensure equitable access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). The programme will prioritise the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disability, people displaced or affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas).
This role is a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate your first-rate strategic and analytical skills, building capacity throughout the WISH eco-system to generate evidence and use data for decision-making. In this role, you will be overseeing large-scale data collection initiatives, including annual client exit interviews, periodic implementation of innovative evaluation approaches (such as PEER methodology and Barrier Analysis), and use of routine service data for decision-making.
Utlizing your proven ability to successfully design, implement, and operate project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages; you will be a central part of the WISH2ACTION team.
Working closely with Data Analysts, the Technical Lead for Data Systems, and country-based M&E staff, you will ensure the availability of robust data across the programme, identify and support opportunities for evidence generation and learning, and build the capacity across the programme to use data to strengthen programming.
1. Key Tasks
1. Oversee annual client exit interviews across WISH (including coordination with IPPF’s WISH Lot 1 team) and periodic data collection efforts including Barrier Analysis and PEER methodology, including:
- Liaising with technical experts in the WISH consortium
- Contracting and coordinating with external research organisations
- Ensuring adherence to protocol and timelines
- Supporting country teams in local ethics review process, contracting researchers, implementation, cleaning and entering data
- Identifying, troubleshooting and escalating issues
- Using and disseminating findings
2. Support Country Managers and local M&E Officers in their roles to ensure robust and timely data that are used for decision-making at the local level.
3. Lead quarterly meetings across the WISH Consortium to review data trends and progress towards targets, ensuring additional user and other KPI outputs are on track to ensure payment.
4. Identify user needs and support development of data systems, working closely with the Technical Lead-Data Systems.
5. Identify data analysis needs and opportunities, supporting Data Analysts in implementation of analyses.
6. Prepare report sections and other data dissemination materials.
7. Undertake such other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time.
1. Assess, design, plan, coordinate, and implement M&E capacity building across the WISH programme eco-system.
2. Identify evidence generation and learning opportunities, co-design research initiatives, coordinate with external researchers, and develop dissemination materials such as articles and presentations.
3. Coordinate with the WISH Commercial Team to ensure that progress towards payment Key Performance Indicators proactively informs cash flow modelling.
4. Coordinate with the WISH Technical Team to proactively identify where performance data indicate support is needed to ensure achievement of Key Performance Indicators.
5. Oversee rapid data quality assessment (RDQA) process and ensure action plans are implemented to address data quality issues.
6. Ensure overall quality and integrity of data and data reporting across consortium partners.
7. Coordinate on issues related to Third-Party Monitoring agency.
8. Ensure adherence to IPPF data and evaluation policies and standards.
9. Ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the remit of the post and in line with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy.
10. Build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside the Federation.
11. Become familiar with the Federation’s Health and Safety Programme and Guidelines for using Visual Display Units, doing everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment, including following instructions and guidance.
12. Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding in local and international context, signing and adhering to IPPF’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies.
3. Person Specification
4. Education & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in relevant field or qualified by equivalent experience
5. Proven Ability:
- Significant professional experience in an M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects, preferably with a focus on sexual and reproductive health and in sub-Saharan Africa
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages
- Experience in using data for performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans
- Knowledge of major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in planning and managing large-scale surveys
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
- Experience mentoring and providing ongoing training and support to field-based M&E staff
- Understanding of donor relations and M&E requirements of complex, multi-country projects with donor such as DFID (or similar institution)
- Demonstrated ability to think conceptually about evaluation questions and to pragmatically apply evaluation theory to practice
- First-rate strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to engage, influence and inspire a diverse range of audiences
- Experience mentoring and providing ongoing training and support to field-based staff
- Outstanding time management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Fluent English essential; French, Arabic or Portuguese an advantage
- Excellent IT skills
7. Personal Competence:
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mindset, coupled with a strong ability to navigate ambiguity and get things done
- A high degree of cultural competence and belief in the value of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Passion for IPPF’s mission and core values
- Willing to travel internationally (up to 60 days a year)