Director of EQUIP - Education Quality Improvement Program
Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Ministry of Education
Education Quality Improvement Program (EQUIP II)
The Director will be responsible for leading overall policy dialogue as well as providing strategic oversight of all activities funded/implemented as part of the EQUIP program. He/she will act as the strategic liaison between the World Bank and the Ministry of Education.
The project development objective is to increase equitable access to quality basic education especially for girls through school grants, teacher training and strengthened institutional capacity with support from communities and private providers.
EQUIP Coordination Unit is a highly professional team under the Ministry of Education (MoE) focusing on improving the quality of basic education in Afghanistan. The Unit covers multiple fronts ranging from routine liaising and coordinating functions to facilitating and leading major new developments. The Unit has supported the implementation of several initiatives in the areas of Teacher Education, Infrastructure, and Social Mobilization and has launched pilot projects in Strengthening Sub-national Education Governance, Operations and Maintenance, and Learning Assessment etc. The project has also provided on-going support to several other departments such as Planning, Human Resources, Finance and Procurement. The EQUIP coordination Unit Director will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the Project.
EQUIP will be supported by individual consultants (full-time or part-time as per needs of different project components) and by specialized service agencies (consulting firms). The Project would be implemented according to an agreed Project Operations Manual as well as the Financing Agreement coupled with other agreed guidelines. Agreed amendments to these manuals and guidelines will be made periodically to incorporate adjustments, as needed, during project implementation.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure efficient and timely implementation of the entire project in accordance with the EQUIP Operational Manual and Financing Agreement.
- Provide overall strategic guidance to the EQUIP team as well as to teams working on EQUIP- supported activities within MOE in adherence to the agreed financial and procurement, environmental and social safeguards procedures.
- Plan, monitor, and coordinate all EQUIP related activities within the Ministry
- Provide overall quality oversight of the preparation of the EQUIP Operational Manual, annual work plan/budget and procurement plans.
- Provide overall financial oversight in coordination with the MOE Finance Department to ensure that resources are managed in a cost-effective manner and in accordance with the project development objectives.
- Lead HR reforms as well as performance management of all employees funded under EQUIP
- Coordinate activities across MOE Deputy Ministries as necessary to ensure effective support to EQUIP-funded activities.
- Key liaison between MOE leadership and the EQUIP program
- Key liaison between the World Bank and Ministry of Education
Strategic liaison between the program and key stakeholders including but not limited to Ministry of Finance, ARTF donors, etc.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Education or related Social Science
- Knowledge of Change Management (certificate preferred)
- Knowledge of HR Management (certificate preferred)
- Significant experience will be acceptable with Post graduate(Bachelors + Advanced Diploma in Management or Relevant Field)
Significant experience of continuous project management in a donor-funded project. Experience in both the public and private domain will be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of local administrative, budgetary and financial practices
- Effective human resource management skills
- Effective Project Management Skills
- Effective Financial Management & Administration Skills
- Effective Core Budget projects knowledge
- Good Knowledge of Procurement and Logistics Management
- Effective organizational and administrative skills
- Good knowledge of economic development issues
- Be able to communicate effectively both in the written and oral mode
- Must be willing to travel throughout Afghanistan
- Languages: Fluent in English, Pashtu and Dari (spoken and written)
- Computer Skills: Competent in the use of key computer software programs
The EQUIP Program Director will submit a quarterly report which includes:
- Summary of work completed containing comments on progress and or any impediments to progress, against outputs and activities listed in the Results Framework.
- This report will be delivered to the H.E Minister of Education as well as to the World Bank on a quarterly basis.
- The ED will provide regular updates as necessary to the Minister of Education as well as to the World Bank
- The initial six months will be considered a probationary period after which a formal evaluation will be conducted before the assignment is confirmed.
- A formal performance evaluation shall be conducted annually jointly by the Ministry of Education leadership as well as key donors.
- An exit interview will be conducted upon completion of the contract. This exit interview constitutes condition for final payment.
- These reporting obligations would be in addition to any reporting and evaluation obligations decided and directly conducted by the Ministry and/or World Bank
5. Submission Guideline
Interested Afghan candidates should submit their updated resumes to:
Deh Afghanan, Ministry of Education, HRMU, 4th floor first Corridor first office, Kabul, Afghanistan
No later than July 29, 2014 candidates who have access to the Internet can send their applications by clicking on the Apply now button.
You are requested to send your letter of interest along with the updated resume. Please mention post title vacancy number and province in the subject line of your email. Those who do not fulfill the applying requirements will not be considered for the shortlist.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted with, and called for the interview. The interview dates, time and place will be determined and communicated with the short listed candidates sooner after the deadline of vacancy announcement.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
We uphold values of empowerment, equity and equality, which underpins all of our work. Ministry of Education is an equal opportunity employer.