Technical Managers are key members of the IFAC staff and are expected to understand, support and promote the objectives of IFAC and the specific objectives and work programs for their department. Technical Managers are expected to be sufficiently adaptable and experienced as to allow reassignment to other tasks, should the needs of the organization require it.
The Technical Manager - Member Body Development works in support of the Member Body Development activities and reports to the Senior Technical Manager, Member Body Development. The Member Body Development team is responsible for the IFAC Member Body Compliance Program (Compliance Program), reporting to the Chief Executive, and is overseen by the Compliance Advisor Panel (CAP). The Compliance Program requires IFAC members and associates to demonstrate how they are addressing their membership obligations including the requirements set out in the IFAC Statements of Membership Obligations (SMOs).
The Technical Manager – Member Body Development also supports the PAO Development Committee’s activities in promoting the role of professional accountancy organizations.
The Technical Manager is a key member of the IFAC staff and is expected to understand, support, and promote the objectives of IFAC and the specific objectives and work programs for the Member Body Development area. The Technical Manager is expected to be sufficiently adaptable and experienced such that responsibility for other tasks within IFAC can be assumed, should the needs of the organization require it.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technical Manager’s responsibilities will vary according to Member Body Development activity priorities. Key responsibilities and priorities are determined on a periodic basis with each individual Technical Manager.
The Technical Manager – Member Body Development is expected to carry out the general responsibilities described below for an assigned geographic region(s):
- Provide support, encouragement and assistance, directly or indirectly, to member bodies in order to help meet their IFAC membership obligations including SMO action plan objectives;
- Prepare analysis and draft reports on the status of adoption of international standards published by IFAC;
- Facilitate member body development of SMO action plans and provision of assistance between members and external organizations;
- Assess membership applications by reviewing application materials, conducting interviews with applicants, sponsors and other relevant stakeholders, and preparing draft recommendations;
- Prepare meeting agendas, minutes and other papers for the CAP or the PAO Development Committee;
- Liaise with other IFAC technical managers and staff in response to queries about member bodies or Member Body Development activities;
- Act as an internal resource for IFAC region and country briefings including preparation of Executive Country Briefings for internal IFAC use; and
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer, Directors and staff to develop and maintain positive relations with IFAC members, associates, affiliates, regional organizations, accountancy groupings and potential members.
Additionally, the Technical Manager – Member Body Development may be requested to support or contribute to specific projects related to Compliance Program, the PAO Development Committee Projects, or other IFAC groups, including but not limited to:
- Development of SMO compliance assessment tools and revision of the SMOs; and
- Co-ordinate meetings with committees, key regional groups, development agencies and other parties involved with Member Body Development activities.
- A professionally recognized bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification, with a professional accountant certification highly desirable;
- Knowledge of the accountancy professional and an interest in developing the profession;
- Experience, at the supervisor or manager level in professional practice, a professional accountancy body, an audit regulatory office, development agency or the office of a public sector accountant or auditor;
- An appropriate knowledge of the role of professional accountancy organizations including IFAC members;
- An appropriate knowledge of International Standards on Auditing, IESBA Code of Ethics, International Education Standards and International Public Sector Accounting Standards;
- A good conceptual understanding of national quality assurance and investigation and disciplinary mechanisms for the accountancy profession;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Fluency in written and spoken English is critical - knowledge of another language is very desirable;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Strong project management skills; and
- Strong computer literacy.
- Commitment to quality processes and products;
- Ability to liaise with senior members of the accountancy profession and key stakeholders of the profession;
- Ability to work with many cultures;
- Ability to work jointly with other technical managers;
- Ability to prepare well-reasoned and concise research and meeting papers;
- ability to apply professional judgment and identify potential solutions to complex issues;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work to internally and externally imposed deadlines; and
- Ability to develop strong, trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
Job Reference: Technical Manager
Contact: Krystina Francis
Phone: (646) 428-8789