Exciting opportunity for a seasoned operator with global experience to join one of the UK’s fastest-growing technology startups. In just over two years, Scribol.com has grown to 55m global unique visitors and has partnered with some of the web’s leading properties. This is the opportunity to get in early, at rapid growth phase.
As Scribol’s global COO, you will have total operational responsibility for all divisions within the business in all of Scribol’s offices, (except for software engineering and product which are autonomous) and report directly to the founder and CEO. Some of the elements of the role include:
- Hiring, structuring, managing and leading teams that deliver consistently outstanding results in sales, marketing, account management & finance
- Managing and overseeing human resources (recruiting, reviews, staff deployment/workload balancing, career progression) with related internal communications and budgeting/finance duties
- Disseminating knowledge, reporting and communications
- Full P&L and budgeting responsibility, as well as accountability
- Management and negotiation of contracts
- Identifying best practices for maximizing operational efficiency and improving internal systems so that we’re geared towards generating results
- Responsibility for executing all internal and external projects
- Participation in the wider company strategy
- Building and maintaining exceptional client relationships
- Representing Scribol in industry-group conferences, professional associations, and other public venues
The role is based in our London office, with frequent travel to our Polish office and the US.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable experience in a global senior management position in one or more of the following sectors: publishing, online advertising/ecommerce, gaming or software
- A full accounting from a leading institution
- A highly intelligent, advanced/MBA degree from a leading university is a real plus
- Proven track record of building and motivating a successful team, as well as an outstanding record of cross-company collaboration, from editorial to engineering in order to deliver results
- Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Excellent analytical, numerical and organizational skills
- Strong PowerPoint, Excel and MS Word skills
- Experience of working with strategic partners and system integrators
- Large rolodex in the digital/publishing space
- Background in software engineering (particularly machine learning) or mathematics (mainly statistics) will make you stand out from the crowd
The Person We’re Looking for
At Scribol we value people who have great ideas and relish a challenge, but we’re not afraid to have fun. For this role:
- You’re highly energetic and proactive. You’re the kind of person who likes to make things happen. You get things done.
- You’re entrepreneurial at heart and you thrive in a start-up environment. You’re the kind of person who prefers to use resourcefulness over resources. Above all else, you relish the chance to build stuff from the ground up and take it through to completion – for you this is recreation or fun.
- You remain focused in the face of pressure, you deliver against timelines and you’re not intimidated by tasks/time limitations.
- You operate with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering.
- You’re transparent, direct and most of all, you also have substance.
- You’re emotionally intelligent and adept at tying the customer’s needs to the services we deliver. You like to strike the right level of persistence when dealing with partners and our team. That said, you resent taking no for an answer and you like to take things through from start to finish. You don’t give up.
- You’re comfortable with selling to large complex organizations where multiple decision-makers are involved. You take pleasure from making other people see things the way you see them.
- You’re highly logical and pragmatic. You like to deploy your time on tasks that have the highest return on investment.
- You love data, numbers and spreadsheets because they give you all the information you need in order to project the growth of what you’re working on.
- You’re passionate about the latest developments in technology and have an interest in the challenges facing publishers and creators of content.
- You’re a fast learner and are open to constructive criticism.
Scribol was founded in November 2010 and is an audience-building tool for top tier publishers. The concept is simple: we connect our users to great content and in the process help our publishers skyrocket their traffic.
Our partners include some of the largest websites on the internet: AOL, Village Voice Media, Break.com, College Humor and thousands more, reaching millions of people globally.
We’re a small and friendly team who share a common goal: to build one of the greatest products on the internet and have fun along the way.
Job Reference: COO
Contact: Chris Ingham Brooke